Dr. Todd
Dr. Todd, Large Animal Vet
Experience:  35 years of experience
13956379

Our cows have warts. What is a quick easy way to get rid of

Our cows have warts. What is a quick easy way to get rid of them?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Todd replied 3 years ago.

There really is no quick way to remove warts, but there is an easy way. It does take a bit of time though.

Warts that are the size of your thumbnail or are smaller can be crushed with a pliers. The idea is to crush the wart without pulling it off. Crushing the wart result in inflammation which often causes the wart to shrink and resolve. It does take several days for the process to take place. The crushing does cause the cow some discomfort.

Do not crush warts larger than your thumbnail. It can cause too much tissue damage. You just have to wait for the larger warts to disappear on their own.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should we isolate the cows that have it?
Expert:  Dr. Todd replied 3 years ago.

No. There is no need to separate your cows.

Warts are caused by a virus. All of your cows have already been exposed to the virus.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long will they stay on the cattle for? If it goes on for a length of time should we treat the bigger warts with something?
Expert:  Dr. Todd replied 3 years ago.

There is really no set time. Warts can be present for weeks or months. They will eventually disappear.

Unless the bigger warts are around the eyes, mouth, or teats it's best to leave them alone.

Dr. Todd, Large Animal Vet
Experience: 35 years of experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are on neck and cheek. If they spread to eye or mouth area what should we do?
Expert:  Dr. Todd replied 3 years ago.

In that case crush any smaller ones. The reaction to the smaller ones will also cause the larger ones to regress.

If they are on the lips and are interfering with eating, they will have to be irritated by scraping off the surface which will have the same effect as crushing the smaller ones.

Dr. Todd, Large Animal Vet
Experience: 35 years of experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your time.