Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.

llama back leg stiff and dragging foot what causes and tre

llama back leg stiff and dragging foot what causes and treatment?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 5 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your llama's condition.

A few questions for you so I can help you with an answer.

1): How long has the condition been present?

2): Is she kept with other animals?

3): Any change in appetite/attitude?

4): Will she bear any weight at all on the affected linb?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. 6 days now counting today

2. Yes she is with other llamas

3. Eats great

4. She kicks her leg out to the side and just drags it stiffly. Can't bend it or lay down. She's stood up all this time.
Thanks for getting back to me:

Certainly rather concerning!

There are several possibilities that could explain what is occurring with your llama. As she is with other llamas, some type of trauma would be suspect, which could have injured her leg in several different ways. A fracture is always a possibility, however when a limb is fractured the animal has a tendency to carry the limb rather than drag it. What you are describing sounds more likely to be some type of neurological issue; nerve damage that is affecting her ability to use the limb normally. This can be brought on by trauma as well, such as a kick of fall.

As I have no means of examining her, I certainly can't offer a diagnosis, but I would first lean in the direction of nerve damage. Depending on the location and severity of damage, anti-inflammatories can often help reduce inflammation at the site, and resolve the condition within several days. Also, courses of Vitamin B12 can help as well. If the damage is severe, it can take up to several months.

Your best course of action at this point is to have her examined by your Vet, who should be able to narrow down the cause with a simple physical/neurological exam. And of course, treatment will depend on the findings. As she hasn't improved in almost a week, I'd suggest having an exam soon, as there could be a possibility of losing affected muscle tone and use.

I trust I've helped, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX of luck!