Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

I have a 6 month old pygmy goat that has a runny nose, sleepy

I have a 6 month old pygmy goat that has a runny nose, sleepy eyes and appears to be scared to come near anyone. What could this be?

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Shelly is suffering from an upper respiratory infection that is common this time of year in goats. It would be good to pump her up with vitamins and electrolytes but she may also require an antibiotic to get past this. She is acting afraid because she does not feel well. purchase Penicillin G at the farm supply and start her on this according to the dose given on the bottle for 5-7 days. At this age, Shelly has an immature immune system and she cannot fight off infection as well as older goats.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX