Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a jersey cow with severe diarrhea and a temp over normal.

I have a jersey cow with severe diarrhea and a temp over normal. She's not eating and not producing milk; this has come one suddenly in the last day. She's standing but rather listless. I've got a stool sample on the way to our vet 100 miles away but what can I do for her now? She just came back from the breeder a week ago; she may have picked something up there, I don't know. I have benamin on hand and LA200. Would it help to give her yogurt with acidopholus supplement? Pedialite? Not even sure I can get her to eat.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since your cow is running a temperature, this will usually indicate some type of infection. I would always worry about coccidia causing the diarrhea or other infectious agents. the most important thing for now is to keep her hydrated and give her a good antibiotic. If you have Baytril or Naxcell available, this would be better than LA200. We have not had good results with this antibiotic. Check to see what your farm supply has in stock and pump per up on this. You can also give aspirin to Lola at 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease pain and inflammation. Be sure to give her Pedialyte by dosing her with a dose syringe , 1-2 quarts every 4 hrs.

Until you know what you are fighting, this is all you can do. I would hesitate to give yogurt or other probiotics until we know the cause. Coccidia will respond to Albon which farm supply may carry and may be better as an antibiotic.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I may be able to get one of those antibiotics from a friend, but if the vet in town gives a different antibiotic, will it be a problem switching her meds? Or is it better to get her on something right now, even if it changes later?
It is better to get her on something now that has a good chance of helping. If your vet chooses to change because of the findings, then this will not be a problem...I fear that she will become dehydrated and she can die from this. Most likely she did pick up something due to stress causing a suppression of her immune system when she was taken to be bred. the incubation time for diseases is 7-10 days and this is too coincidental. It is not that the other farm had something bad but Lola was immune suppressed due to the stress of the change...start her on something strong now....before it is too late and do nursing care with pedialyte or gatorade.