Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

my 8 month old droughtmaster bull calf is inslow decline.his

my 8 month old droughtmaster bull calf is inslow decline.his mother has now self weaned in the last 6 weeks in which time he has deteriorated from >250kg to <125kg so obviously more issues than just weaning.other calves are fat and healthy with no signs of exam was inconclusive with bloods and feacial ok except for a few worm eggs.was wormed a week ago and has had two shots of tetravet flexi-dose(tetracycine pvp) since.seems tobe eating pasture and drinking normally but still in decline.ear notch has been sent away to determine if pestivirus PI.where to from here.nb-herd is in very very wet north australian tropics.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My worries about this young bull in your area would be tick borne diseases as well as a Vitamin E/Selenium deficiency. It will not hurt to supplement him with Vitamin E/SElenium and treating for other tick borne diseases which will affect the younger immune suppressed bulls.

Lepto also has to be taken into consideration in your area so testing should be done to rule this out....

In bulls this young, I still worry about a hereditary condition that is causing this since now he is using up more nutrients because of his advanced age....this would include a heart condition which your vet will have to rule out as well.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
herd is annually vaccinated with 7in1 and all adults have been blooded wth trivalent serum.this calf and his sibblings have not yet been vaccinated yet due to extreme wet season.tick pressure has been normal but under control with all animals including this calf treated with cydectin p/on late spring.currently feeding calf weaner pellets containing vitamins and minerals(inc selenium).any other economicly viable suggestions for this animal?
I still worry about a hereditary issue such as a heart problem....this is difficult to determine without other diagnostic tools but your vet can check him with an EKG and stethoscope. Since he is getting supplements and correct nutrition, this could account for the fact that he is declining as the other bulls are not....

This would be economical....