Dr. M.
Dr. M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified surgeon, lameness and advanced imaging expert with 9 years of experience.
27425863

How much grain should I be feeding my alpacas a day I feed

How much grain should I be feeding my alpacas a day? I feed twice a day so I need the total for a day. I live in michigan and the weather is very cold now. I have two alpacas over a year and 3 about 7 months. And which is safer for them, large pellets or smaller pellets? I feed llama/alpaca feed and it is a larger pellet I also have a smaller pellet that the alpaca people I got them from gave me. I have had them choke on both. I feed in separate bowls and actually stand and put the feed in as t hey empty I feed more until they have the ration I was told to feed. They are being fed 3/4 of a cup twice a day. Thank you jerri

Dr M :

what brand is the food?

JACUSTOMER-1uaibi65- :

nutrisource that I buy at a place called tractor supply. It is made specifically for llamas and alpacas.

JACUSTOMER-1uaibi65- :

I believe I have unlimited questions for 30 days? Is this correct?

Dr M :

yes.

Dr M :

well, I am not familiar with that brand, could you send the composition?

JACUSTOMER-1uaibi65- :

unavailable at this time, as I do not have the feed bag. Supposed to be picking up another bag tomorrow, will email back to you tomorrow night when I get home from work if that is ok? Or if you have a fax, I could fax it to you.

Dr M :

just send it through this, no pb

JACUSTOMER-1uaibi65- :

ok tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-1uaibi65- :

Thanks

JACUSTOMER-1uaibi65- :

Jerri

Dr M :

ok

JACUSTOMER-1uaibi65- :

Hi Dr. M

JACUSTOMER-1uaibi65- :

Sorry about all the Hi's anyway, I have the feed tag for the grain I have been feeding. It's Nutri Source llama and alpaca concentrate for all stages contents: processed grain by-product, grain products, roughage products plant protein monocalcium phosphate dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, molasses , forage products, soybean oil, salt DL-methionine niacin supplement thiamine mononitrate vitamin E supplement calciumpropionate zinc sulfate, manganous oxide magnesium oxide ethoxyquin(preservative) copper sulfate vitamin aA supplement Vitamin D3 supplement cobalt carbonate calcium iodate sodium selenite ruminant meat and bone meal free. Whew! Crude protein 15% min. crude fat 4.0% min.crude fiber 15% max calcium(Ca) min. 2%calcium (Ca) max 2% phosphorus (P) min 1.50% salt(NacL)min 0.20% salt (NaCl) max 0.70%

Dr M :

do they get free choice hay too? what kind of hay?

Dr M :

also, what is the body condition of the animals? (familiar with body condition scores?)

Dr M :

typically, with this kid of food, and free choice hay, 0.4 pounds of grain per 100 pounds of weight

Dr M :

once you do the math, divide on how ever many meals you wanna feed.

Dr M :

Hope this helps,

Dr M :

let me know if you have any further questions

JACUSTOMER-1uaibi65- :

yes on free choice hay it is a grass hay that we grow and process ourselves. Body condition is good, not familiar with body score, will check out but vet said they are in good condition last time he was out around first of december.

JACUSTOMER-1uaibi65- :

Thank you for your help.

JACUSTOMER-1uaibi65- :

Jerri