Dr. Lazarcheff
Dr. Lazarcheff, Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years mixed animal practice, with a good deal of small ruminant experience
34902914

I have an 11 day old bottle lamb who I believe is constipated.

Customer Question

I have an 11 day old bottle lamb who I believe is constipated. She was fine until yesterday when I went out to giver her a bottle she acted like she could barely stand up. Now today she can barely walk. I have never seen her poop so I gave her 2 tbs vegtable oil tonight and rubber her rectum with a warm wash cloth. She then pushed out a hard little yellow poop. I was wondering If I should give he rmore or what I should do?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lazarcheff replied 3 years ago.
Good morning,

This sounds serious, Usually constipation doesn't leave them unable to stand. Is she still taking the bottle well? Is she running a fever? Any discharge from the eyes or the nose?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No discharge from the eyes or nose and she isn;t runnig a fever. She is taking the bottle off and on. At 9:30am she took it at 3:30pm she didn't but then I fed her again at 6:30pm and she ate. She does stand and walk just not well and sometimes she falls down. Also we gave her a white muscle shot today and when she was born

Odd, This sounds neurological. sometimes and injection of B vitamins will help. Any wounds? is the umbilicus clean and dry?.....I am thinking possible tetanus?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it is. SO should we try a b vitamin shot or tetnus? Also why hasn't she been pooping? We have had her since she was a couple days old and she is in a playpen and there has never been any poop in there?
The B vitamins may help, and she could still be constipated, but constipation does not usually cause these neurological signs. The oil is a good idea, and stimulating her to defecate with a moist towel will help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, where can I buy the vitamin B in the morning. Like a feed store? Also how often can I do the oil?
Usually they do have the B complex at well stocked feed stores.( 1cc per 20 pounds usually) Check the label they should have a dosage. Put a little oil (2 tsp) in every bottle, until your sure she is defecating easily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks. I was feeding her every 6 hours but now I am feeding her evey 4 hours a little less since she wasn't eating all the time. Is every 4 hours to often for the oil?

No thats fine, If she gets too loose you can back off on the oil?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I just wanted to make sure I can't over dose her on it?

No its pretty safe and its easy to tell when you have given too much..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, thanks and I know this is hard for you to guess but if it is neurological what are the chances of survival? Or will the shot fix it? I am just trying to prepare myself because this is my 4 year olds bottle lamb.
I am hopeful that if this is a thiamine deficiency (one of the B vitamins) she will turn around quickly, If not then the prognosis for a full recovery is not as good. No wounds or sores on her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nope and like I said she was great until yesterday. It has beed so sudden and so fast! We have had many bottle lambs before but nothing like this has ever happened
Is she always confined to the play pen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Usually we take her out for about an hour a day where she could run around. I wondered if she needed a bigger pen now? If she wasn't getting enough exercise?
I was thinking the same thing. Could she have got into anything on one of her outings, Old paint, old battery...anything with lead?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hmmm.... not to my nolage but usually my son takes her out and he is 4. We usually watch them pretty good but I couldn't be 100% on that one
Check around. Old paint chips and old batteries are the usual culprits.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Then what could we do for her?
You would have to get a vet out, lead poisoning is treated with injections of a substance called EDTA.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok well I guess we will hope for the best until I can call the vet in the morning! Thanks for the tips I will keep watching her.

Keep me posted on how she does please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will, thank you! I went and slept for 2 hours got up to feed her. She now doesn't want to eat and looks worse. She is almost shaking. I am forcing her to eat atleast a little bit. She looked like she was trying to poop but nothing would coming out. Her breathing is also not looking as good. I just keep trying to get her to hang on to go to the vet. Thanks for you help tonight it has been helpful and that way when I hopefully go to the vet tomorrow I can bring up a couple possibilitys.
Good Luck, let me know what you find out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took her to th vet this morning. They weren't sure what was wrong with her really. But they gave her Baytill 100 BOV 250, Buscopan Inj, Dexamethasone, and vitamin B complex. They didn't tell me if I need to giver any follow up of anything though? She does seem to be doing a little better, I think. On the vitamin B when should you give that, incase this ever happens again?

Any bummer lamb, or scour. The injection can be repeated every 2 to 3 days.
Dr. Lazarcheff, Veterinarian
Experience: 17 years mixed animal practice, with a good deal of small ruminant experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for all the great input!! Hopefully it will all work out!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have another problem. The lamb seemed to be a little better she finally started eating and moving a little more. Now she is not getting up again and she is holding her back leg up. The vet felt her and thought everything felt good?

Did she get an injection in that leg?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No she got them in the front but on that side. Sorry to keep bugging you but I don't want to start with someone else since you know what has been going on! I will give you a bonus since I keep bugging you(sorry). She is still eating though but like last night she looks bad the only thing better is she is eating. They also gave me a saposatory that they said I could give her oraly but since I gave it to her she still has only done a little hard poop. She pees a lot though. She lays theer and when I get her to stand she only stands a minute. They didnlt say if I should repeat any of the medicines, should I?
I think the lameness could be from being down so much, Any swelling or heat in the leg. Nothing to repeat except maybe the Baytril and the B complex, Possibly the dexamethasone but I would check with them first. I though of something else, With all the antibiotics I would add some yogurt to the formula to replenish the gut flora. I would massage that leg and see if that helps. I am glad she is eating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The leg doesn't feel warm. I only have flavored yogurts, but I do have some probiotic paste would that do the same thing? Also the more we watch her she looks constipated. She walks all hunched up and looks like she is straining trying to poop. Should I put less formula and more water in her bottle would that help? Also should I still do the vegtable oil?