Dr Steve
Dr Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of mixed animal practice experience
31531426

Elderly Neubian goat cannot stand on its legs. It is eating

Elderly Neubian goat cannot stand on its legs. It is eating and drinking water that I feed to it while it is laying down.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Steve replied 6 years ago.

Dr Steve :

HI, I'm Dr. Steve

Dr Steve :

Can your goat stand or use any legs? Can it move the legs, but just not stand on them?

Dr Steve :

I have to go offline, but will be back in themorning to check in. Please leave your reply and I will answer your question at that time. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-y3hcbcai- :

It can move its legs but is unable to stand. I saw something on line called meningeal worm that sounds like it may be her problem.

Dr Steve :

Hi, Is your goat on pasure where there is wet areas that snails may be present?

Dr Steve :

Hi, Is your goat on a pasture where there are moist or wet areas where snails may be present?

Dr Steve :

HI, Is your goat on a pasture where there are wet areas where snails may live?

Dr Steve :

Hello

Dr Steve :

Sorry for the duplication, my computer locked up for a minute.

Dr Steve :

I will try to give you some information. Meningeal worm is a possibility and the treatment for that is Ivomec plus at 1cc per 25 pounds body weight once a day for 7 days, then panacur or safeguard (fenbendazole) at twice the cattle dose once a day for 5 days. When a goat exhibits severe symptoms of meningeal worm like yours is, the prognosis becomes less favorable. I have also given an antiinflammatory injection like banamine or dexamethasone to reduce inflammation in the spinal column in addition to the wormers. The other condition that I see in older goats is neck injuries or injured IV (intervertebral) discs in the back or the neck area.As animasls age, their IV discs become calcified and less flexible, then they are more prone to injury because of this. THe symptoms your goat is showing are consistent with both meningeal worm and IV disc injury. For IV disc injury, the treatment is dexamethasone injectable at 8cc/100 pounds or banamine at 1-2 cc per 100 poundsa once a day for 3-4 days. These medicines are available from your vet. A caution, if your goat is pregnant, dexamethasone will cause her to abort. Unfortunately the longer a goat is unable to walk, the poorer the prognosis becomes, regardless of the cause of their inability ot stand. I hope this has helped. If it has, please click the accept button so I may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and Good Luck. I will check back in later to see if you have more questions.