Dr. Lazarcheff
Dr. Lazarcheff, Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years mixed animal practice, with a good deal of small ruminant experience

My pygmy goat has discharge from nose and mouth. He caughs

Customer Question

My pygmy goat has discharge from nose and mouth. He caughs or birps to regurgitate but just gets more mucus coming out. Do you think it is like a cold or is it a digestive problem?

We raked dry leaves from our poplar trees for the goats to eat this morning. They have always eaten these leaves and I can't think of anything else that could have caused a digestive problem.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lazarcheff replied 6 years ago.
Good morning. Sorry to hear about Nubs. The stuff coming from his mouth and nose is it saliva? Is there any food stuffs in the discharge? How long has this been going on?

Dr. Kevin
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nubs appears to be fine this morning. No more discharge from nose or mouth.
I wonder if he had a blockage in the esophagus, When they do the saliva backs up and they begin to cough and gag on it. If the blockage resolves they go back to normal pretty quick. Glad he is better.

Dr. Kevin