Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

I have a 30# female pig that has a umbilical hernia that is

I have a 30# XXXXX pig that has a umbilical hernia that is about 1 1/2 long and protruding down a little less than an inch. Should I treat this or just keep an eye on it? We will butcher her at about 250#, if she can make it. And are there any non-surgical treatments?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
HI there.

If you can get 2 fingers into this hernia into her abdomen, this will most likely herniate and cause abdominal contents to some out this hole. We often tell clients to continually push this back into the abdomen every day 2-3 times per day. Sometimes, this will allow the hole where the hernia is to close enough so that the abdominal contents will not come out and cause a life threatening intestinal strangulation.

the cost of the procedure will often negate repairing this but, if you can get 2 fingers through this hole, there is a risk of the abdominal contents to come out this hole.

Good luck!!