CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian

I have lambs that have weak or paralyzed legs. They are about

Customer Question

I have lambs that have weak or paralyzed legs. They are about 5-8 days old. One acts paralyzed in both back legs. At first I thought the mother had stepped on it's one leg then a few days later both became weak and now both are Paralyzed. Two other lambs were born with weak front legs, now those legs are crooked and they try to walk like they are on their knees. What causes this, and how can I help them? AW
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lazarcheff replied 6 years ago.

Is it just the three lambs effected? Are they wanting to nurse? Any swollen joints or fevers?

Dr. Kevin
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yeah they are all nursing. I don't notice any swelling or fevers. The two that are having problems with their front legs were born with weak legs in the front but the problem is now worse with their legs bent to the outside. We had one that had this same problem last year and so we kept it by the house. It lived all year long.
The other one that has the problem with the back legs I have never seen before. This lamb was not born with any problems that I could see, but just within the last three days she has gotten weaker until last night she is just dragging her back legs behind her. All three look to eat well. Thanks
How does the fleece look on these lambs? (rough?), Any black spots on the back of the neck?

Edited by Dr. Lazarcheff on 5/27/2010 at 2:37 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I haven't noticed any black spots on the neck or around the face. The lamb that has lost the power of his back legs, looks a little rough with his flesh but not really his fleece. The other two no spots and their flesh and fleece look alright.
we are always concerned about a virus causing things like this particularly borders disease, but it really doesn't fit. Can you send a picture of the deformities?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yeah I will try to send a picture tomorrow. Thanks
Thank you.