DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  Tracked mixed animal medicine in vet school; have been working as an equine vet since graduation
24095035

I have a miniature donkey who gave birth overnight, foal was

I have a miniature donkey who gave birth overnight, foal was dead. Jenny seemed fine all day but now she is acting very motherly toward me. She is following me all over the place and licks at my pant legs. She also won't let any of my other donkeys near me, acts very aggressive towards them, tries to kick and bite at them when they come near me. I locked her up in a stall by herself because I fear she will hurt the other ones. This would have been her first foal. I have raised minis for years and have never seen one act like this. She is actually getting herself so worked up she is breaking out in a sweat. Any suggestions?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 4 years ago.
Hi there. I have a couple of questions for you:

- Did she spend some time with the dead foal? To see it and smell it and realize it was dead?

- Did you have blood or fluid on you from the dead foal or placenta?

- Have you checked to make sure she doesnt have a fever?

Thanks
Dr. Melissa
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She sniffed it and walked away. When I found the foal all the donkeys were in another part of the stall away from the dead foal. Had no blood or fluid on me from the foal. Her temp. is normal. Checked on her a little while ago and she seemed to be calming down a little.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 4 years ago.
OK. Thanks for the info. Going through all of that can be very stressful for a horse (or donkey as the case may be).

To answer your questions:

I would expect that she will continue to calm down and come around over the next couple of days. Make sure she is eating and drinking well. If she is getting really distressed, you may want to talk to your vet about giving her some acepromazine for anxiety for a short time.

If she is totally dry by nightfall (from sweating) then I wouldnt worry about blanketing her.

I hope this has been helpful and best wishes

Sincerely
Dr. Melissa
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience: Tracked mixed animal medicine in vet school; have been working as an equine vet since graduation