CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

I have a cow that i think may have lump jaw.Her face is very

I have a cow that i think may have lump jaw.Her face is very swollen mostly on the left but all over and under her jaw as well it feels very hard. She was not swollen yesterday.
what should i do for her?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  CountryDoc replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, this is Dr. Christie.

Can you take the temperature of your cow (rectally) with a thermometer?

Also is she eating and drinking at all?

Any drooling? Does her breath smell bad at all?

I am not sure where you are located, but is it possible she could have been stung by bees?

Typically lumpy jaw develops over sometime rather than appearing overnight, though I guess she could have had some residual swelling previously? It is possible she could have been stung by bees, has an abscessed tooth or even an abscess in her mouth that is causing the swelling.

If it truly is lumpy jaw, your vet will give her iodine intraveneously to help treat it. If it is an abscess, first you have to determine what is causing the abscess - foreign body, cut, abscessed tooth, etc. Typically lancing the abscess or getting rid of the infected tooth is recommended and then starting her on penicillin and an antiinflammatory such as Banamine.

Dr. Christie

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I took her temp 103.3 No she is not eating and drinking. Yes she is drooling .

We live in Co so the bees are dead we just had a snow storm the last two days 3 feet.

Thank you for the information.

I would be suspicious of an abscess, infected tooth, or even a foreign body caught in the mouth. I definitely recommend getting your vet out to exam her mouth thoroughly. Especially since she is not eating and drinking. If you can tube her and pump some fluids into her, this will help maintain her hydration until your vet can get there.

If you have any Banamine, you certainly can give her 1.1 cc per 100 lb. If you have any penicillin G, about 60 cc intramuscularly, I would definitely go ahead and start her on antibiotics until your vet can get there. Unfortunately there is not much else you can do until your vet can examine her. If you have a needle and syringe, you can try finding a soft spot in the swelling to see if you might be able to determine if there is an abscess lurking there. Try and get some fluids in her to keep her hydrated.

Dr. Christie

CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience: Experienced mixed animal veterinarian