Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

my goat is constipation

Customer Question

my goat is constipation
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
Hi there.

Mineral oil is the treatment for constipation in goats. I believe you have not given enough of this. Also, remember that there is a 4 hrs transit time for the oil to go through.

Be sure to give 1 ounce per 10 pounds every 4 hrs until you see a difference. You may also want to give him an enema of 2 ounces of soapy water to allow the stool to be removed. make sure also that the straining you are seeing is from her bowels and not his urinary tract. If his urinary tract is blocked and he is straining, this is an emergency situation and will require a vet to remove the blockage. This could be life threatening.

Good Luck!!
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
you didn't tell me any more then i all ready did
Well, if he is constipated, he will need more minerla oil than you have given. Also, he may need an enema to help him pass this stool.

be sure this is a constipation of bowels as apposed to a urinary blockage which can look the same by straining.

Keep up the good work!!
Expert:  Michele Konnersman replied 6 years ago.

Have you seen him urinate in the last 24 hours? It sounds to me that he is blocked and cannot urinate. This is very common in male pygmy goats. It is an emergency. Someone needs to cut the very long worm-like end of his penis off where the stone might bew trapped.