Dr. MD Stafford
Dr. MD Stafford, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years mixed animal practice, fish health certified and experience with embryo transfer.

What is the best analgesic/antiinflammatory to give a goat

What is the best analgesic/antiinflammatory to give a goat who has laminitis?
Until I can get him to a vet?
You can use butazolindin (bute) or banamine. Banamine is probably the best, XXXXX XXXXX per hundred pounds of body weight.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have either available to me - I believe both are rx?
Yes both are, you can use aspirin 5mg per kg of weight so a 100lb goat (45kg) would get around 200mg or 3/4 adult aspirin. Use the buffered kind and give once daily for no more than three days.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

One more question - front hooves had grown over and under the pads - very thin shell - I trimmed them, but cannot find any one around here who will show me how to trim cloven hooves correctly - I don't want to cause Jasper any more discomfort than necessary - yes my 2 goats are family members - 2 baby goats were given to me when I pulled a child out of a possible dog mauling (I took the bites and tears) the child is ok - Mom insisted on giving me the goats in lieu of money - though I tried to refuse - stating I ;knew nothing about goats and I didn't want any money - I was only doing the right thing by getting that child away from that situation - but to learn how to take care of the goats medical problems has posed a challenge - I love those goats and wouldn't give them up for anything, but I really need to know how to care for their hooves. Can you direct me to a website or service that might help me with this - we have no large animal vets up in this area - the nearest one is over 100 miles away. TY.

BTW, I think it was you who helped me with Weezie - a pup with distemper already showing neuro signs a couple of months ago - she had her shots, but this is a strain not yet covered by vaccines - she is fine today - despite many years of veterinary statistics stating once the neuro signs were there - there was no hope.

It sounds like you did the right thing on the hoof trimming. There are numerous books that you can purchase about goat husbandry, or try the local library. All of these will have pictures on proper hoof trimming. It is a pretty basic science, keep the hoof wall from overgrowing the pad on the bottom. When it does the pad becomes softer and hence sore. good luck and congratualtions on the dog, sometimes good things happen...........
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will do that TY! Weezie thanks you as well - fluids, intensive nursing care, prayer and your advise is what brought her through it. She is running around here without a care in the world - just tons of love to give. Thank You so very much for your wonderful advise:)
you are welcome!