Dr. Kathy
Dr. Kathy, Large Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  Twelve years of experience treating beef and dairy cattle

My goat cannot pee. She strains and strains and cannot get

My goat cannot pee. She strains and strains and cannot get any water out. She is in a small lot and is by herself. She is eating her hay,but will not eat her oats. She appears to have cramps when she tries to pee. She is crying and seems to think we can fix it, but we have no idea what has happened.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kathy replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry to hear your goat is having problems.

This is a serious emergency. It sounds like your goat has bladder stones which has blocked the urethra, which connects her bladder to the outside of the body. While this scenario usually occurs in male goats, it can occasionally happen in females, which is what I believe to be going on here.

Her bladder needs to be unblocked as soon as possible. If it is not unblocked, her bladder will rupture and her chances for survival go down dramatically. She needs to be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I cannot get a vet to look at her before 8 am in the morning(weekend) What do you think are her chances for being helped and is surgery necessary for this? Can it be determined this is what it is and the bladder has not ruptured by x-ray?
Expert:  Dr. Kathy replied 4 years ago.
A vet may be able to palpate her belly and determine if her bladder has ruptured. If not, an x-ray would help determine that.

A vet may be able to pass a catheter into her bladder to allow her to urinate. She may be able to be treated with a special diet to allow the stones to dissolve and surgery can be avoided.

If she just became unable to urinate over the past few hours, she may be able to make it until morning to see the vet without her bladder rupturing.

Good luck.
Dr. Kathy, Large Animal Veterinarian
Experience: Twelve years of experience treating beef and dairy cattle