Dr. Kathy
Dr. Kathy, Large Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  Twelve years of experience treating beef and dairy cattle
20350789

I have a pygmy goat who is producing milk. She is not pregnant.

Customer Question

I have a pygmy goat who is producing milk. She is not pregnant. Her sack is very, very, large and I can see that she is uncomfortable. I have tried milking her, but it didn't help. What can I do to reduce/relieve the size of the sack and reduce tha milk in her sack?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kathy replied 7 years ago.
I am concerned your goat may have a case of mastitis, which is causing the swelling and discomfort. Assuming this is the case, she would need antibiotics infused into her udder and possibly some systemic NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) to help relieve the pain and reduce any fever.

In this case, I am most concerned that she has a case of toxic mastitis. I would recommend an examination by your veterinarian.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Our vet said to milk her then he changed his mind. I gave her an antibiotic shot, but not in her utter. Also a shot for pain. Do you think an NSAID shot into her utter will reduce the amount of milk in her utter. If it is toxic mastitis, what affect will this have on her physically?
Expert:  Dr. Kathy replied 7 years ago.
Toxic mastitis is when the bacterial infection in her udder enters the bloodstream and goes throughout her whole body. These animals get sick as the bacteria produce and release toxin. It is life threatening. These animals will appear very sick, may have a below normal temperature, and may be unable to stand.

The shot for pain was most likely an NSAID. Do not give the NSAID shot into her udder. The NSAID will help to counter the toxin.

Since we (veterinarians) do not generally know the exact bacteria causing the problem when we examine animals animals with mastitis, it is not unusual to treat in the udder and systemically in suspected cases of toxic mastitis.

You need to give good supportive care, such as getting her to eat and drink (and using electrolyte solutions if necessary).

Part of the swelling and milk in her udder may actually be the body's response to the infection. There is nothing I would recommend in this case as the medications/treatments to stop the milk production may cause more harm than good in this circumstance. Assuming she makes it through the infection, she will eventually reabsorb the fluid on her own.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just want to say thank you for your helpful information. Hopefully the goat will come through this okay.
Expert:  Dr. Kathy replied 7 years ago.
Good luck!