Large Animal Veterinary
Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP
1. He is a "hand me down" that was given to us. my guess is that he may be around 5 years old.
2. He is pastured. Has lots of grass and eats all of our left over fruits and veggies along with things from the garden etc. We recently got new chicks and they are pastured with him. i can't keep him out of the medicated chick food. I really try hard to monitor how much he is getting and chase him out of it but he probably gets about 1/2 cup a day of it off the ground. no supplements
3. I was told since he and his partner goat are our only animals worming wasn't neccesarry. I keep their pasture and house clean at all times.
4. He is NOT urinating as much as the other one. Seems to be straining and it just kind of tinkles out. haven't really been able to catch him peeing much. He strains to poop and it is clumped up pretty big and a little bit runny. This seems to be getting a little bit better over the last 24 hours or so.
6. no flagging of his tail. doesn't stand with front feet stretched out etc.
He is a very loved pet and i am having a hard time finding a vet in our area who will see goats. The closest one I have found is about an hours drive from our home. We would do anything we needed to at home to help him feel better. I really don't believe that he has been feeling bad for long as he spends a lot of time with me during the day, although in the warmer weather it is common for him to spend the hot afternoons in his shed where it is a little cooler. Thank you for your help.