CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

I have 4 four month old dairy calves.And two have come down

Customer Question

I have 4 four month old dairy calves.And two have come down with something that has caused them to not see, hot noses, locked jaw, cant eat... etc any idea what they have?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  CountryDoc replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

In what area of the country are you located?

How long have you noticed the symptoms?

Are there any abnormalities physically/grossly to the eyes such as smallness, cloudiness, watery tears, redness, etc?

Any swelling to their jaws? Can they move their jaws at all? Can they drink? Any stiff gaits noticed?

Are you able to take their temperature?

Any respiratory distress or heavy breathing?

Dr. Christie
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tulsa county

started to notice symptoms on calf 2 three days ago, his right eye was half closed, and had lose stool.

however on calf 1 (i was out of town when he got sick) he has gone through the this almost died and now is climbing back to recovery.

yes the eyes are watery, cloudy, appear to have almost cataracts, cant see well bc they run into things (calf 2 is starting to get sight back.

I don't notice any swelling in the jaw, and yes their is some movement, but they grind their teeth horribly. Not really drinking anything, seem very dehydrated.

No I have not taken temp but calf 1, at one point was very very hot, his nose was dry and hot so we gave him Tylenol to help the fever. Calf 2 has not come to that point yet, he felt almost clammy yesterday.

last night their were no signs of heavy breathing. Today their is, he is having a hard time breathing and will not take a bottle.

And Calf 1 seems ok now, however he is still weak, but he walks around and bucks and plays every now and then. Calf 2 on the other hand doenst move much, walking is a chore and its looking pretty grim.

Calf 2 has scours and can not get up.
Thank you for the information.

There are a few different things that could be going on with your calf.

Cloudy eyes can mean a few things...septicemia, infectious bovine rhinotraheitis (IBR), bovine viral diarrhea (BVD), or even simple pinkeye. All can cause blindness or problems seeing. Pinkeye can really cause them to lose vision quickly. Parasites on top of it all could also take them down. Make sure they have been dewormed.

The grinding of the teeth is called bruxism and is typically a sign of discomfort or pain, be it stomach pain or possibly pain from the condition of their eyes.

Of the symptoms you describe I would be suspicious of IBR or BVD. I would recommend having your calves seen by a vet to get a specific diagnosis. IBR they simply will get through it and recover with supportive care (fluids, antiinflammatories). You can test by running titers to determine if this is what they may have been exposed to. If it is BVD, you can also run titers. If it should happen to be BVD, both calves should be culled immediately, especially if you have other cows around.

I would recommend having your vet look at them, as a physical exam could reveal more specifics that could pinpoint a diagnosis, something I cannot do over the internet. Until you can have your vet out, I would recommend giving them electrolyte solution at least twice a day. Pedialyte or gatorade are both good sources or you can pick up a packet from your local feed store you can mix.

Please let me know if you have any other questions concerning the calves.
Dr. Christie
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They had tetany. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question