Dr. Margo
Dr. Margo, Veterinarian
Experience:  12yrs mixed animal veterinarian
14356282

We have cow that is bleeding from the nose and loseing condition

We have cow that is bleeding from the nose and loseing condition fast what could be the main cause?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Margo replied 5 years ago.

Moodaisy,

How old is this cow?

Have you noticed any deformation of the outside of her nose or skull?

Are you seeing any diarrhea?

Dr. M

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
theres no sign of deformation of her nose nor skull and shes about 4 years old and theres no diarhea and the blood from her nose is quite clotty
Expert:  Dr. Margo replied 5 years ago.

Moodaisy,

Is it one nostril or both?

Has she been given any oral tubes lately? Like a calcium gel?

Dr. M

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
both nostrils o hse hasen't been given any oral tubes and she's loseing condition fast ie not much energy and geting thin
Expert:  Dr. Margo replied 5 years ago.

Moodaisy,

Does she fight with other cattle?

How long has this being going on (the bleeding)?

Have you noticed any coughing?

Do you have any history of more recent respiratory disease in your herd?

What breed is she?

Dr. M

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i haven't seen her fighting with any other cows she's a fresian in our milking herd the bleeding started about 3 days ago when we first noticed theres no sign of coughing and we have no history of disease in our herd
Expert:  Dr. Margo replied 5 years ago.

MooDaisy,

Unfortunately you seemed to have ruled out the easy, good reasons.

Trauma is the primary reason for bleeding from both nostrils. With the loss in condition as well as the bleeding you must think of some disease process.

The the most common reason then are lung abscesses. These usually start in the liver and spread to the lungs. The liver is also responsible for making some of the blood clotting factors. So once abscesses in the lungs rupture they will continue to bleed and not clot very well.

Since she has been loosing condition and you are not seeing symptoms in any other animals then toxic plants (that interfere with blood clotting would be much less likely).

For now you can try an antibiotic that penetrates lung tissue well. Penicillin, Naxcel or a sulfa antibiotic. Most of the time these animals continue to decline and do not recover. Liver abscesses can come from blood borne bacteria or parasite migration.

If I can answer anything else please let me know.

Dr. M

Dr. Margo, Veterinarian
Experience: 12yrs mixed animal veterinarian