LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating pets, horses, small ruminants and other species.

My baby pig (not guinea pig) is about 8-9 weeks old. She is

My baby pig (not guinea pig) is about 8-9 weeks old. She is sheltered in a kennel at night with a heat lamp. During the day she is in a pen with shade and lots of sunshine. I have kept her dry and warm as it's cold in the night. She is eating/drinking fine. She eats dry food. I noticed today she might be developing a little cough, and a stuffy nose. I was told to catch this immediately. I wanted to know if I can give them my children's antibiotics, or some antibiotics I have left from my dog. I am not in a position to take her to the vet and wanted to try and see what I can do for her myself.

Take the temperature. Over 102 is a fever (101 in pot bellied)

Pneumonia is certainly a possibility for coughing in young pigs. It can be caused by a number of bacteria. Most antibiotics can be used to treat the bacteria that cause the disease.

Another cause of coughing is parasites particularly roundworm (Ascaris) and lungworm (Metastrongylus). Fenbendazole (Safe Guard) or ivermectin (Ivomec, many brands), are good dewormers for both parasites. The horse past ivermectin can be used. Twice the weight on the syringe is used eg. a 100 lb pig gets a 200 lb dose of horse paste.

Antibiotics and wormers are available OTC in most livestock stores in most states. Amoxicillin and Clavamox are commonly used in dogs. What antibiotics do you have (name and dose).

In addition, let me know if you have follow up questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have Amoxicillin 500mg adult capsules. (These were left from myself). I also have Clavamox 250mg left from my dog that weighs 47 lbs. My little pig weighs approximately 10-15 lbs. I would have to weigh her to be positive. How do I give her the medication.   How much do I give her? How long do I give it to her? Do I take her temperature in her rectum? (Like I do the dog.) Thank you.

The 250 mg Clavamox would be OK for a 20 pound pig, but is too high for 10-15 pounds. These tablets can not be split. They are not scored and the drug is not evenly distributed throughout the tablet. Tablets lose potency rapidly within hours once removed from the foil wrapper.

The dose for amoxicillin in pigs is similar to other species (10 mg/lb/day). Your pig would get 100 mg for each 10 body weight. You will need to open the capsule and divide it into 5 portions as close to evenly as possible.

Weigh you pig and give it 1/5 of the capsule contents for every 10 pounds of weight.

You can see if the product is soluble in water. If so, you can dissolve a capsule in 5 ml of water (1 teaspoon) and use 1 ml per 10 pounds per day. A 7 day treatment is usually sufficient to treat respiratory infections. Use a syringe to squirt the dose in her mouth.

You can give Amoxi with food. If diarrhea occurs or as a preventative, give her a tablespoon of yogurt with active cultures once a day while using antibiotics.

Deworming every 4 weeks for 2-3 doses should be started if you are not currently doing it.

Temperature is taken rectally.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I actually got some Penicilin from the feed store. I gave her 1/4 ml injection in the but muscle. She weighs 10 lbs. I didn't have a thermometer to check her temp yet. Thank you for your advice. I love this website!