Equine Vet
Equine Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I work with several species including horses, cows, goats, sheep, pigs and camelids.
11785740

my pot bellied pig has a fever and will not eat. She recently

my pot bellied pig has a fever and will not eat. She recently ate several rotten apples that fell from the tree. I've read that the seeds can be poisonous. Any advice? Thank's
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Equine Vet replied 8 years ago.
It is unlikely that your pig has been poisoned by the cyanide in the apple seeds, she would have had to ingest a huge number of them to be affected. Rotten apples (or any fruit in large quantities) can give a pig an upset belly, so the apples are probably the cause of the inappetance, but not in the way you feared. The indigestion often resolves on its own in a few days; sometimes dietary indiscretion in pigs leads to transient vomiting and diarrhea, which is self-limiting (if this happens, stop feeding the pig, only allow water, and once the diarrhea and vomiting cease, start on white rice and some boiled chicken). I'm wondering what the temperature you obtained from your pig was, normal PBP temperatures can be up in the 102s and be normal. If her temperature is higher than this, you should have your veterinarian examine her so that he or she can provide your girl with the proper antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for an infection (respiratory infections are the most common in PBPs and can lead to fever and inappetance). You could also safely give your girl some Pepto Bismol liquid (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds, divided into 2 or 3 doses in a day) to see if it makes her feel a little better. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.