Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

My battery died and now it's supposedly internal. How come

Customer Question

my battery died and now it's supposedly internal. How come my computer won't work when it's plugged in
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I don't have the model number and I use microsoft
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have the computer and I believe Microsoft installed an update
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it. Thanks!
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tim and have over 15 years of experience with eBay, Google, and the Department of Defense. I'm here to do the best I can to assist you with your problem. If remote access is needed, I will remote in, and call you, as well as provide a free tune-up. Also, follow-ups are always free if more is needed.

Very Odd, it should work plugged in, regardless of the state of the battery. Is the battery internal, or external? Who makes this laptop? Is it an Acer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Internal battery, and it's a Toshiba
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How could you securely connect if the battery or the electric power won't work?
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

I can not connect, the site sends those out, please ignore them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My email says I've already been charged the $39 already or an extra $33
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

We may have to take the bottom panel off, and take the internal battery out and test......How old is the unit?

Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

Yes, its a paid service.....there's a deposit of some sort, then a fee for talking to an expert.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1 year
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

However, i'm not in billing. 1(###) ###-####is the Customer service number, if you have a billing question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1 year or less
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

So its a fairly new unit, who makes the unit. Sorry i see its a Toshiba.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Toshiba
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

So its out of warranty if its over a year....I think removing the battery, is a good idea.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Even though, it's internal. Am I supposed to do it?
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

Most internal batteries are removable, No you are not supposed to do it, at least according to the manufacturer, however you are out of warranty......It over all sounds like it had some type of hardware failure....so we would be just doing a test.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. Any charge for it? How can you test it without power? I'm not on that computer now.
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

Are you asking if this is free? And i'd not be the one testing, since i'm not there, and can't remote in, as we discussed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you won't be doing it. I'm asking if they can test without electrical or battery power.
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

We would be removing the battery, and plugging it in, and seeing if it gets power, this would just be a test. I think the system is dead my self, probably the motherboard, but we can test to see if for some reason on that unit will not power on with a bad battery for some reason.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. You can do that without me removing the battery, from right here in my house?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not you personally, but it can be done?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've already been charged $38 for some reason.
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

Yes it can be done. Just need a small phillips.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me see if I can find one.
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

Like i told you, there is a deposit of some sorts, and then once you get with an expert, i believe it charges you the full amount, as you know you can request a refund. And the customer service # is 1(###) ###-#### I am not in billing. I am an engineer - So if you want to keep talking about billing, please call CS, and i'll be on my way, and circle back later.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. I'll call them and get back to you later. Thanks for your time
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

k