Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

My battery died and now it's supposedly internal. How come

Customer Question

my battery died and now it's supposedly internal. How come my computer won't work when it's plugged in
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I don't have the model number and I use microsoft
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have the computer and I believe Microsoft installed an update
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it. Thanks!
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Tim replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I'm Tim and have over 15 years of experience with eBay, Google, and the Department of Defense. I'm here to do the best I can to assist you with your problem. If remote access is needed, I will remote in, and call you, as well as provide a free tune-up. Also, follow-ups are always free if more is needed.

Very Odd, it should work plugged in, regardless of the state of the battery. Is the battery internal, or external? Who makes this laptop? Is it an Acer?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Internal battery, and it's a Toshiba
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How could you securely connect if the battery or the electric power won't work?
Expert:  Tim replied 8 days ago.

I can not connect, the site sends those out, please ignore them.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My email says I've already been charged the $39 already or an extra $33
Expert:  Tim replied 8 days ago.

We may have to take the bottom panel off, and take the internal battery out and test......How old is the unit?

Expert:  Tim replied 8 days ago.

Yes, its a paid service.....there's a deposit of some sort, then a fee for talking to an expert.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
1 year
Expert:  Tim replied 8 days ago.

However, i'm not in billing. 1(###) ###-####is the Customer service number, if you have a billing question.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
1 year or less
Expert:  Tim replied 8 days ago.

So its a fairly new unit, who makes the unit. Sorry i see its a Toshiba.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Toshiba
Expert:  Tim replied 8 days ago.

So its out of warranty if its over a year....I think removing the battery, is a good idea.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Even though, it's internal. Am I supposed to do it?
Expert:  Tim replied 8 days ago.

Most internal batteries are removable, No you are not supposed to do it, at least according to the manufacturer, however you are out of warranty......It over all sounds like it had some type of hardware failure....so we would be just doing a test.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK. Any charge for it? How can you test it without power? I'm not on that computer now.
Expert:  Tim replied 8 days ago.

Are you asking if this is free? And i'd not be the one testing, since i'm not there, and can't remote in, as we discussed.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
you won't be doing it. I'm asking if they can test without electrical or battery power.
Expert:  Tim replied 8 days ago.

We would be removing the battery, and plugging it in, and seeing if it gets power, this would just be a test. I think the system is dead my self, probably the motherboard, but we can test to see if for some reason on that unit will not power on with a bad battery for some reason.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK. You can do that without me removing the battery, from right here in my house?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Not you personally, but it can be done?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I've already been charged $38 for some reason.
Expert:  Tim replied 8 days ago.

Yes it can be done. Just need a small phillips.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Let me see if I can find one.
Expert:  Tim replied 8 days ago.

Like i told you, there is a deposit of some sorts, and then once you get with an expert, i believe it charges you the full amount, as you know you can request a refund. And the customer service # is 1(###) ###-#### I am not in billing. I am an engineer - So if you want to keep talking about billing, please call CS, and i'll be on my way, and circle back later.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK. I'll call them and get back to you later. Thanks for your time
Expert:  Tim replied 8 days ago.

k