flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
23372949

I have an acer aspire one laptop that i haven't used in two

Customer Question

i have an acer aspire one laptop that i haven't used in two years....when i turn it on it says windowcould not start becausethe following file is missing or currupt. windows\system32\config\system. i need the cetup cd-rom and cant find it.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Aspire? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: aspireone operationg system windowsxp
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: no....none
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Laptop
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.

do you know what operating system it had?

some acers can be recovered to factory specs using a partition on the hard drive instead of a recovery cd

these procedures work if it had windows 8

1. Press and hold the Power key for 5 seconds to power the system off completely.
  2. Press the Power key to turn on the computer.
  3. Press the Alt and F10 keys at the same time when the Acer logo appears on the screen. Your system should boot to a blue screen that says Choose an option.
  4. Select Troubleshoot.
  5. Click Reset your PC. This process will erase all data on the your system. Choose the Refresh your PC option if you want to restore your system and retain your data.
  6. Click Reset to begin the recovery.

you can also purchase the recovery media cheaply from acer if you have the serial number of the laptop

call this number 1-***-***-****