MikeW
MikeW, Computer Repair Tech
Experience:  32 years PC repair / networking
9863586

I have a Satellite P505 S8980. I just replaced the dc

Customer Question

Hi Charles, I have a Satellite P505 S8980. I just replaced the dc jack because the plastic holding it in had broken. I also replaced the power adapter with output 19s 3.95 a yet the laptop will not power up. From the left: the 1st and 3rd (orange) indicator lights are lit. (power supply and battery). I took the batter out and held down the power button for a minute, put the battery back in and reconnected the power adapter. no change.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Toshiba Satellite P505 S8980
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: The laptop has sat dormant for the last two years. I finally got around to changing out the DC jack. I cannot remember if it was working back then or not but the jack was in tough shape.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Laptop
Expert:  MikeW replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you. So have you tried to remove the battery and start it up with the battery removed and only the power adapter plugged it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that is correct
Expert:  MikeW replied 3 months ago.

So then the problem is with the motherboard. If you see lights on the PC then you know the power adapter is good. If it won't start with the battery removed and you know the power switch is good then the only thing left is the motherboard/processor. If it were the memory it would still power up but not post (also beep).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  MikeW replied 3 months ago.

If you have any further questions please just ask. If not and you feel I've been of help to you please remember to rate my time and help before you go by clicking the STARS and accept button so that I may receive credit for helping you.