MikeW
MikeW, Computer Repair Tech
Experience:  32 years PC repair / networking
9863586

I have a satellite,I wiped it clean and the recovery disc I

Customer Question

Hi,good evening I have a satellite,I wiped it clean and the recovery disc I made doesn't work,when I power up it says no bootable device,please restart
JA: What kind of computer do you have? Do you know what Operating System (OS) you're running?
Customer: Windows 8.1,,toshiba satellite
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: The disc I made doesn't work,I tried to start and hold zero button down but it doesn't take me anywhere and I get same message
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a way to get a disc and start over?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  MikeW replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you. When the TOSHIBA splash screen is displayed when you first turn on your computer, a boot menu prompt may be displayed for a few seconds near the bottom of the screen, indicating that a key (F2 or F12, for example) can be pressed to display a menu of boot options. Can you press F2 or F12 to get to the boot menu to have it to boot from the CD drive?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did what you suggested,I can get to those menus,I still get the same message,the disc I made is no help
Expert:  MikeW replied 3 months ago.

So the disc you made is apparently not a boot disc. Do you have the Windows 8 product key for your PC? You can download the software to make a bootable disc but you will need the product key to activate it. You can download it here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i downloaded that program to an empty flash drive with 16 gb,i changed settings on boot mode on f 2 and f 12,still getting message no bootable device--please restart system
Expert:  MikeW replied 3 months ago.

That's an ISO file and it won't boot from a flash drive or a disc drive. You have to make a bootable drive out of it.

Expert:  MikeW replied 3 months ago.

You can copy it from the flash drive to a windows 7 pc or higher then right click on the ISO file and burn it to dvd or usb and then it will be bootable.

Expert:  MikeW replied 3 months ago.

CORRECTION --- If you downloaded the windows from the Microsoft link I posted here then the file is an executable file. You would need to place that file on a PC then double click it to execute it, then follow the prompts to make a bootable flash drive. But the file itself as downloaded is NOT bootable.

Expert:  MikeW replied 3 months ago.

Did that work for you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been too busy to do anything, I think Monday I will have time
Expert:  MikeW replied 3 months ago.

ok