Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

I'd like to swap out my old I5 3230M 2.6GHz processor with a

Customer Question

I'd like to swap out my old I5 3230M 2.6GHz processor with a newer, faster one. Will my Toshiba support new processor? Will my computer work properly with all other hardware installed? Windows Home Premium 7 machine.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Toshiba? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Can't read model number on sticker-worn off. Is it in computer? 64 bit Windows 7.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Only ordinary Windows updates automatically. No real problems (other than CD drive is dead, and internal wireless antennae doesn't download faster than 0.5, but I replaced with external adapter which works fine).
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Probably need to find computer model
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Cris replied 14 days ago.

Hi there, I am Cris and will be glad to assist you.

What is the reasoning for wanting to swap the CPU? Swapping the CPU is usually very expensive and also difficult to replace. Normally if that goes bad or the motherboard on a PC. Depending on the cost of the PC I normally recommend to just replace the whole PC.

There are other upgrades you can make to make your PC quicker and faster that are cheaper and easier.

Expert:  Cris replied 14 days ago.

Did you want further assistance with your question?