Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

Surface Pro 4 windows 10. Screen won't impact rotate.

Customer Question

JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Surface Pro 4 one year
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I just noticed it a couple of days ago. Tried the settings and I looked online.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: N.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 7 days ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

The auto-rotation setting may be locked in one position. Here’s how to unlock it:

Step 1:With the Cover detached, swipe in from the right edge of the screen, or select Action center in the taskbar.

Step 2:If Rotation lock is undimmed, auto-rotation is locked. Select Rotation lock to unlock auto-rotation.

Note

Rotation lock is undimmed when auto-rotation is locked. When auto-rotation is locked, the screen won’t rotate when you change the orientation of your Surface.

Step 3:

Reattach your Surface Typing Cover, fold it back, and check to see if the display rotates automatically when you turn your Surface.

Notes

• Screen rotation on Surface locks automatically when an attached Surface Typing Cover is in typing position.
  • Folding back your Surface Typing Cover allows the screen to auto-rotate, unless auto-rotation on your Surface is locked.
  • If your Surface screen is in portrait orientation when you attach your Surface Typing Cover or connect an external display, the screen will automatically rotate to landscape orientation, even when auto-rotation is locked.

If auto-rotation still isn't working after you unlock auto-rotation please let me know.