Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I have a Sony PCG-2B1L, reinstall windows 7 ultimate. U need

Customer Question

I have a Sony PCG-2B1L, reinstall windows 7 ultimate. U need help finding and installing all the factory default drives of this computer
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Byron replied 11 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. When you re-installed Win 7

there's a possibility the Sony recovery partition got wiped in the process.

Click the start button and in the search area type: diskmgmt.msc

and open the search result at the top.

In the Disk Management window, on the lower half of the screen, can you list me the partitions

from left to right,

for Disk 0 ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
F and C, bty, can u delete the windows.old folder? This got created after installing new windows. New new windows 7 is not the one came with the Sony computer but just regular one
Expert:  Byron replied 11 days ago.

Thank you. If you used a Win 7 install disk to do this that would remove the Sony entries.

The Windows.old folder contains all the files that were on the computer before the installation.

Open it up and look in the Users folder. You'll see the different user accounts listed.

Opening those you will see folders like Documents, Pictures, Music, Favorites, etc.

If there's nothing in there you need you can delete the entire Windows.old folder.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok, removed. Now what do I do?
Expert:  Byron replied 11 days ago.

Are you wanting to put back the software that came with the computer?

Expert:  Byron replied 11 days ago.

If you've just loaded Windows only, you're probably missing a few things. You can get the software from the

Sony site here:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGXTP20E&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
After removing the windows.old, reboot the computer but it says operating system not found. Please advise
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  Byron replied 11 days ago.

Windows.old is only a folder and not part of the operating system. Can you boot the computer from your

Windows 7 Ultimate disk. When you get to the screen asking if you want to install it, in the lower left area

choose the repair option. One of your options will be startup repair. Select that and let it run.

A missing operating system error could also indicate a hardware problem. How old is this computer?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I reinstalled it
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will try to install the drivers now
Expert:  Byron replied 10 days ago.

Good morning. Let me know if any issues. If you get the computer connected to the internet

I'll be able to connect to it and assist.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I tried your link to install the drivers but most of them didn't install. most said for windows vista which was the original os came with the computer. I installed windows 7 64bit, your link, video driver says something like it's for 32bit. was this sony computer originally 32 bit os but I installed 64bit and that could be the reason most drivers not installing? but is it even possible to install windows7 64bit on this computer if this computer originally 32 bit?
Expert:  Byron replied 3 days ago.

Hi. The computer has an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 which is a 64-bit processor.

Windows 7 x64 will run on it. The issue is that Sony didn't produce

Windows 7 drivers for the computer. Many Vista drivers will work under Windows 7 but there's

no way to know until you try them. Which drivers are you missing?

Based on a Sony spec sheet I found, this graphics driver should work on your machine.

Try it and let me know: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/110258/en-us

Expert:  Byron replied 3 days ago.

Also, it's very important that you have Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 installed. Any Windows 7 installation

disk manufactured before the service pack was released won't have it. To check what you have, open Control Panel>>System. Take a look at the attachment below and make sure on your machine it shows you as having

Service Pack 1

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I tried your link to install the graphic card but it says "this graphic driver not find compatible graphic hardware"