Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

My Surface Pro 3 is over heating to where it is hard to

Customer Question

My Surface Pro 3 is over heating to where it is hard to hold. This has been going on for a year or more and the only advice I was given was to buy a fan. I notice that there are 100s of complaints on this issue and want ed to know if Microsoft had finally found a solution?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: it is a Surface Pro 3 and I bought the Keyboard
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: All update have been accomplished automatically.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to know what it is going to cost to fix it. I have just ppurchased the Surface Pro 4 and it is working great.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Russell H. replied 18 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That might be bad design, true... and it is not good. Overheating in an electronic device can 'burn it out', leading to sudden complete circuitry failure.

There is one thing to check on: Look at the CPU usage on the Surface Pro 3. Is it always 100 % ?

If so, that is abnormal, even pathological. A good computer should be at continuous-100-% CPU usage, rather rarely or in obvious times of multiple high usage / overload.

How do you determine the CPU usage? that depends upon the Windows version... assuming your Surface Pro 3 has Windows 10, you do the following:

Go to Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del keys, then choose Task Manager, ought to work)

Then go to the Performance tab.

Then click on 'CPU' on the left. A graph of the CPU usage for approximately the last 70 seconds or so, should be displayed.

If it is continuously at 100 %, your software is either infected by a virus, or needs a little work. I can instruct you on what to do and how to fix it, if it's just software misconfiguration or something minor... and I can instruct you how to scan for and determine what virus or malware it might be, and hopefully eliminate it, also... for the price of this JustAnswer.com question.

Let me know, please, so that I may instruct you further with specifics of what to do, as appropriate.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Remote Tech Support. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.