michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Notebook and Handhelp support expertise
26798893

My Toshiba satellite laptop was working fine yesterday

Customer Question

My Toshiba satellite laptop was working fine yesterday morning. At some point, it was frozen. I turned it off to reboot. The splash screen came up and then "Reboot and select proper boot device." Took it to BestBuy and they said I have to replace the hard drive. Can I not boot it from the external hard drive? If so, where is the info to do that? I'm hoping I can retrieve info before replacing the hard drive.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Toshiba? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Satellite E45t-A4300. Windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I followed instructions to disconnect power, hold power button for 20 seconds and turn back on. The info indicated to disconnect the battery if able, but it is not accessible unless I take off the back.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  michelleclive replied 24 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
You cannot connect to my device for this issue. I need to be able to boot it.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

if the hard drive is dead you cannot boot that means you cannot retrieve the data till you opt for a data recovery service.

Data recovery service has special tools the can retrieve your data using there recovery software if the media is good and if the media is bad they will try the hardware pcb replacement and then they can retrieve it.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
How do I know the hard drive is unbootable from an external device?

There is no way you can do that your primary drive is dead and you will have to use a bootable drive to boot first and then you can connect the bad drive to the secondary sata port to check if the secondary driver is getting detected by the computer or not and if yes then you can get into the disk management and access the drive content.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I guess we're not communicating. I have an external hard drive. I want to know if I can try to boot up from the external drive if I get the boot disk from Toshiba. I guess this was a mistake. Thanks.

you can boot from the external drive but you will not be able to check if your internal drive as its set to sata 0 and by default the hardware is set to first boot device so in that case the himem.sys which is a system file will not recognize the internal drive as a C which is the primary drive in this case you will have to remove the bad drive connect it to sata 2 and try booting from the external drive and if the drive is good you will be able to view it on the disk management screen in windows.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thanks.

Feel free to ask if you have any question. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. Please provide a rating for the service, effort and the time by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page. Thank you