bbao
bbao, Senior Laptop User
Experience:  CISM / CISSP / MCSD - Azure Solutions Architect / MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure / MS MVP
96068672

Oh it's not booting into windows 7. accidentally dropped the

Customer Question

oh hi, it's not booting into windows 7. accidentally dropped the laptop on the floor now hangs at the starting windows screen. Suspect hard drive issue
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: lenovo T400, windows 7
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: no new updates other than i installed flash player for internet explorer but then uninstalled it...made comput run slowly
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: won't boot into safe mode, rand HDD diagnostics on bios error code 0000 read verification failed
Category: Laptop
Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

> it's not booting into windows 7

What's the specific symptom? Any error message, or frozen somewhere? Better a screenshot please (using your phone)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Freezes on the windows loading screen
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This screen
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This happened after accidentally dropping the laptop
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Things I tried:
-windows startup recovery
-BIOS: HDD diagnostics - Error code 0000 read verification error
-Unplugging the hard drive and plugging back in
None of this worked
Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

Okay, never tried Safe Mode?

If so, first try pressing F8 to start Windows in Safe Mode. If successful, then restart you computer as usual.

> Error code 0000 read verification error

Just clarify: 0000 means "no error" or "read error"?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think read error.
I tried safe mode too but it hung up at cleanup.sys
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I"m sorry classpnp.sys I think that's what it hung on
Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

If so, given the drive is hard disk (not SSD) and was accidentally dropped, and Windows is hanging there while loading a driver, it is highly likely a hardware failure on hard disk due to physical damage, especially the BIOS already give read error at diagnosis, I don't think the drive can be repaired and should be replaced.

Do you have valuable data on the disk?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the HDD diagnostics error
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm suspecting a broken hard drive but want to get another opinion?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh I just read your answer now
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have some data on it but nothing very valuable. It's not my main computer but data isn't backed up unfortunately
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was being used by a family member
Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

As the last resort, try changing disk mode to AHCI in BIOS and see if the same issue (hanging at classpnp.sys) persists.

Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

BTW, were all memory tests passed in BIOS diagnosis? Just in case the memory modules have issues (such as not aligned) due to the accident.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's already on AHCI
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I see an option in BIOS for extended memory test I will enable that and reboot
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok nothing happened so I guess that's ok?
Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

Yes, that means it is not a memory issue. What you need to do is to get a new hard disk now.

If the laptop is still under manufacturer warranty, you may consider going back to Lenovo for repair or replacement. I know it was caused by a drop damage, but some laptop such as HP does provide HD protection. I believe Lenovo has the similar protection mechanism.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay I'll use this chance to pick up an SSD upgrade today, thanks for your opinion
Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

You are welcome.

Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

BTW, if you think your question and concerns have been well addressed, please kindly accept my answer and rate my services to close this question.

You can still come back to this question after the answer has been accepted. Please feel free to update here about the upgrade info or discuss new concerns about the disk replacement.

Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

SSD replaced? All good now?

Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

Any feedback please?

Expert:  bbao replied 4 months ago.

As your issue has been well addressed and the problem was located, can you kindly accept my helpful suggestions and rate my service to close the question? Thanks for your understanding and effort.