Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

Back in July, I tried to go from Windows 7 Home to windows

Customer Question

Back in July, I tried to go from Windows 7 Home to windows 10, taking advantage of Microsoft's conversion before it expired. One update did not take; sorry I didn't write down what it was. After several attempts, I finally gave up. Then I noticed that my Windows updates were NOT updating any more. After several attempts, including changing from Automatic to Manually downloading - it just would not. It just sits there with the message that it's Searching for Updates. It could sit there for 10 hours, 'Searching' unsuccessfully. I then attempted to re-install Windows 7 from the original 'D' drive. Windows 7 looks successful, but then updates go up to a certain point, then it stops and any further attempts gets me back to the 'Searching' unsuccessfully. I have no idea what the problem is, and one tech person suggested that I contact Toshiba, as maybe a 'driver' is missing or 'off'. SO, whatever help you can give me is appreciated. Thanks
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Toshiba? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: TOSHIBA Satellite L455 PSLY0U-03S02P
System Serial Number: 4A450949K
Enclosure Type: Notebook
Microsoft - PowerShell 89***-***-****260-04309
Microsoft - Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) 00359-OEM-8992687-00057 (Key: 6B88K-KCCWY-4F8HK-M4P73-W8DQG)e 6B88K-KCCWY-4F8HK-M4P73-W8DQG
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Please read the lengthy message I sent.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Laptop
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Is anybody there?
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 21 days ago.

Dear Client,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** am a computer expert since 17 years and I will be assisting you today.

Unfortunately and even more with a freshly installed Windows 7, this issue is normal. It is because Microsoft has left only a few servers available for the Windows 7 updates, hence the search for updates (by my experience as well) can take up to 48 hours with a fresh installation, since there are over 1000 updates to download. You´d just have to let it search until it found all updates. An alternative is to install a special pack that includes most updates until April of this year. Then the rest of the updates will be found a lot faster via Windows Update, but it is rather complicated to install unfortunately.

May I remotely connect to your computer please, so that I can do it for you while you can relax and watch me doing it on your screen? This is an optional service with a one-time flat fee, regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume it at any time, without additional costs. It also is safe, as you will be watching your screen and we will chat there as well, so that you will always know what I will be doing next while fixing the problem.

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck