Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I think it needs to be reset to factory settings, but I cant

Customer Question

I think it needs to be reset to factory settings, but I cant find how
JA: What kind of computer do you have? Do you know what Operating System (OS) you're running?
Customer: Toshiba satellite l645D windows 7 home premium
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Didn't have internet for a while recently got it back & got some updates (not Sure what) I have tried troubleshooting everything I could find
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do have a system repair disk but don't know if that helps at all
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 23 days ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Doing factory reset will remove all your files and programs and restores the computer to its out-of-the-box state. Are you sure you want to do it?
Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
it's been having multiple issues
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I would rather just reset it
Expert:  Jess M. replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information.

Many Toshiba computers come with the factory software recovery image stored in a special (hidden) area on the hard disk. From this special hidden system recovery image, you can restore your computer to its factory-fresh software condition by following these steps:

1. Make sure the device is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
  2. Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc. Remove and CD or DVD from the CD?DVD drive as well.
  3. Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working. Do not proceed if you are on battery-mode.
  4. While the laptop is turned OFF, press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
  5. If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
  6. A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
  7. Click Yes to continue.
  8. When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
  9. Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary.

If your model of laptop does not have its hidden recovery partition, or if the said partition was damaged or formatted before, the procedures above will not work. In this case, you need to BUY a set of recovery DVDs for your laptop so that you can restore it to factory settings.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess