Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I have a toshiba satellite L10W - which belonged to my

Customer Question

I have a toshiba satellite L10W - B which belonged to my sister that has recently died. I need to access her laptop but dont know the password. Can you please help?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Toshiba? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Toshiba L10W - B . I think its running Windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I cant do anything with it caue it is password ***** at start up BUT i have just restartedd it and it has come up with the Toshiba setup Utility screen which has security on it.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The security screen has the Bios password ***** user password ***** not registered.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 29 days ago.

Hi there and welcome

On the sign in screen, above the password ***** do you see a name or an email address?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No it go's to a blue screen with her name above the box to enter the password
Expert:  Richard replied 29 days ago.

ok, this means she used a local account, which cannot have the password ***** If there was an email address we could look at resetting it online, but this is not possible.

The only way to remove it is to do a reinstall of windows. This will remove all the data but you cannot avoid this, it is the whole reason for the security.

To do the reset.

On the sign in screen, hold the left SHIFT key on the computer and with it held, click on the power icon and click restart.

Keep shift held down until you are at a menu, then release.

Then click on Troubleshoot, then Reset My PC.

You must choose the option to remove all data.

Let this complete and when it has, windows will be reinstalled and will take you through the setup so you can set it up again and use it just like a new computer.

Let me know please how you go.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Ok I'll try that. Thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 29 days ago.

you're welcome

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

and if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 29 days ago.

how did it go?