Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

Can I upgrade the CPU in my Satellite S55-B5268 laptop to

Customer Question

Can I upgrade the CPU in my Satellite S55-B5268 laptop to the Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor? Right now I have the Intel Core i7-451OU CPU? I need it to be faster for my graduate work, as I run a lot of "fat" programs, like Dragon Professional Individual 15. A lot of times I need to have a lot of windows w/ several tabs on each in Firefox, and sometimes things slow down. Can I swap out the processor or do I have to buy a whole new laptop?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Sorry. This is a Satellite S55-B5268, serial # ZEO22739C. My operating system is 64-bit, with Windows 10 (did I give you the info you needed?)
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I always let the Windows 10 updates install automatically. I haven't done any troubleshooting- that would be this conversation :)
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a textual content analysis software installed also called Quirkos, but it's fairly slim: nowhere near the hog that InVivo10 or ATLAS Ti are. Also, my Acrobat Reader DC kicks out on me evry now and then. And, thinking of it, Word 2016 "stops working" more frequently than it used to. I figured I was just feeding the beast too much at once. Oh, and I have Norton Antivirus installed as well.
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Tim replied 30 days ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you, give me a few to research this.

Expert:  Tim replied 30 days ago.

Sorry for the Delay. Yes you can stick the i7-7500U into that motherboard.

Expert:  Tim replied 30 days ago.

But the performance difference is so SLIGHT, there is no point.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-5500U-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4510U

Expert:  Tim replied 30 days ago.

Moores law is no longer in effect, CPUS frab maybe 5% a year now.

Expert:  Tim replied 30 days ago.

waste of time and money to do it - just speaking the truth