Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

My wife's laptop. Her backlight is very dim, after spilling

Customer Question

My wife's laptop. Her backlight is very dim, after spilling something on her laptop. She downloaded a driver she found out about on the web, but it's still not working.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Just a minute, I'll ask her.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Idea PadP500. Windows 10
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. We just need her back light back.
Category: Laptop
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Idea PadP500, Windows 10. She tried to down load a video driver but it hasn't helped. Basically happened when she was rubbing keys after a spill. Not much liquid was on the key board but was rubbing as it was glue which had splattered
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's laptop problem. The first question is, Does it work well otherwise, aside from the dim backlight? i.e. and especially, when you look at the screen in a bright direct light, does everything on the screen appear normal?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It works. She has somehow connected to a TV and is using that for a monitor. It appeared normal before this spill and rubbing.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bear with me. I am in Kansas, she is in Nairobi. We're chatting by Skype.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pardon, she's in Nigeria.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She says everything on the screen is fine, just very dim.

That's OK.

Good!

I think she turned down the brightness on the screen, which can sometimes be done by key combinations, through her rubbing the keyboard off.

(I presume though, that the decrease in brightness happened *after* the rubbing-off, not before - ?)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it was after rubbing. She has right clicked on the screen, gone to Display Settings. The brightness is set on full as it was. Nothing happens when she moves the bar up and down the scale.

There may be another way of adjusting the brightness on the screen - the brightness of the backlight, strictly speaking.

(She is displaying it on a TV, right? is the image on the TV of a normal brightness?)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One minute.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it's normal brightness on the TV.

Have her try holding down the

Fn (function)

key, and then press

Home

key several times. That's the keystroke for turning up the brightness of the screen on many Lenovo laptops.

If that doesn't work, have her look on her keyboard's upper-row keys and function keys, for a bright-light or similar logo, and press that key after holding down the Fn key.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. Just a minute.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That doesn't work.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She says her function keys haven't worked well for some time on this computer.

Has she restarted the computer since this happened?

If not, I advise trying that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Done.

Let me know the result... or, has it already been tried?

What Windows version is on the Lenovo laptop in question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She shut down and restarted earlier. Nothing changed. She's using Windows 10.

Go to

Control Panel

Display

Adjust Resolution

Click advanced settings

click on Properties

click on the Driver tab.

After you click update driver, it will ask you how you want to search for driver software;

click on Browse my computer for software

then choose

Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer;

you'll see compatible drivers, look for

"Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"

click on Next.

That may help... but be sure to save all work and close all programs on the computer, in case it has a problem. And leave it hooked up to the TV if at all possible - that may be needed. This is a slightly chancy recommendation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, let's see. I sent her what you wrote. Please stand by.

If those instructions run into a snag or are too elaborate or cause problems or simply, if you'd like to try another procedure, let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She went to control panel, then Display. There is adjust brightness, but not Adjust Resolution. Under Adjust Brightness, there is no Advanced Settings.

OK, that must be the difference between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

I apologize to both of you, for giving inapt instructions.

Try this instead:

Control Panel

Device Manager

Display Adapter

double-click on the Display Adapter entry, to open it.

go to the Driver tab. Let me know what information there is there, please. It's needed for further instructions in specific.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, give us a minute.

That's fine - take your time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, Intel HD Graphics 4000. She has Driver Details, Update Driver, Disable, and Uninstall buttons.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should she update the driver?

Doing something with that driver is the idea, yes.

Try Update Driver... if she has an internet connection, choose to search internet for appropriate driver.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hope that works. This is really keeping me from other important work. Please stand by.

OK.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'ts saying the best driver is aleady installed and operating properly
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Got the same message when she browsed.

Then this won't be simple and fast.

More time will be needed - at least 1/2 hour.

The driver must be refreshed... universally (almost) this common Lenovo problem is solved by re-installing the driver for the display adapter.

But it must be the right driver (even if a slightly lower version # i.e. of a slightly earlier release date).

So please tell me what the Driver Details says. In full, unfortunately, will be needed, as to the driver name and version #.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
While I'm waiting for her answer, tell me - how would rubbing the keys (wiping up the spill) affect the driver?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the Details tab only gives the drive name - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. Unless you want something other than the "driver description".
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She says, "[3:45:10 PM] Beverly Stauffer: I can't do that is is so long. Intel Corp. version 2 copyright 2012
[3:45:23 PM] Beverly Stauffer: The code is so long." I asked her to get the version from the Driver tab. She wrote - [3:50:12 PM] Beverly Stauffer: Did find this under events Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_390417AA&REV_09\3&11583659&0&10 requires further installation.
[3:50:28 PM] Beverly Stauffer: Driver version 10.18.10.4358
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm sure you're helping others at the same time, but can you please stick with us here? The delays are trying. And it's now 10 pm in Nigeria.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am I paying for all the down time while we wait for you?

I had an internet access outage - please pardon the delay.

I am assessing the information you posted (and yes, catching up with one other customer) now that I can see it...

Pressing the F11 or F12 (especially) keys sometimes affects or locks up or corrupts (?) the driver for the display adapter.

This is unusual for a laptop. Lenovo may be criticized for this fault.

Driver version - thanks to your wife for typing in that no doubt tedious information.

I am looking for a reliable download for that... meanwhile, if your wife's laptop is Windows 10, it might matter that it is 32-bit or 64-bit... so please have her go to

Control Panel

System and Security

System

and look for the System Type, either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Thanks... will post again shortly (5 minutes?)

This page appears to be the right one.

Which of these does she download, Save, then double-click upon to Install ?

The one that matches both her Windows 10, AND also matches the 32-bit System Type - or the 64-bit System Type.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25977/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-33-?product=81499

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's 64-bit. We'll see if this works. I'll let you know.

OK.

I'm sorry about that outage... it was actually a failure to load your case's screen, not just an overall internet failure. I had to do various things to get it working... the delay was, I hope, not my fault.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She has follow the instructions on executing, but nothing seems to be happening.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, something is happening....

"Nothing happening" - in that what *has* happened please?

Did the intel logo appear, showing that the downloaded driver installer is executing/has executed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess it installed. She says she is restarting her computer now.

Good.

Then have her re-adjust the brightness - NOT using the F12 nor F11 keys, unfortunately....

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. Waiting for her to be back online.

OK.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, nothing has happened
When I go to display, the bar to increase brightness is at the right, but not lit up
The change the text bar is bright blue but not the bar to increase brightness
Desktop is still dim - nothing changed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We've been dealing with this for 3 hours now. I'm ready to quit trying for today. I'll call Lenovo service directly myself - tomorrow. I can't tell you how much this has blown my day.

I regret to say that possibly the backlight has actually failed.

Try turning the laptop off for overnight, and see if it works in the morning, is about all there is left to say.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. thank you for all your effort.

I hope to hear better news in the morning or tomorrow sometime.

Thank you for following this regrettable matter through with me.