Kevin T
Kevin T, IT Manager
Experience:  IT Manager
94743361

My HP -not this one-died. On the screen it says

My HP -not this one-died. On the screen it says www.hp.com/gp/techcenter/s/startup.. It states "Boot device not found. Please install an operating system on your harddisk. Hard Disk (3FO) F2 System Diagnostics Alice Ruiz***@******.***
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your HP? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: I had switched to Window 10 I do not know what the model number is ***** the computer does not start. I would have to look up my receipt with office depot. About how much do you charge if I send it to your HP location? My warranty has already expired.
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to. Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Yes I did an update. I always follow the updates. I have not done any trouble shooting because the screen is totally black, except for that info I just gave you. My grandson said he was playing a game by the name of Roblex and the screen just died - back out.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had the computer two or three years.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like the hard-drive has failed.

Are you OK to run some tests?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well I am not on the computer - I am on another computer because the problem computer is dead.
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

Does it turn on at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't understand how you can remotely connect to it if I am talking to you from another computer.
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

Does it turn on at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The computer turns on but as I mentioned all it tells me is that Boot device not found
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

OK, we need to see If it is picking up the hard-drive. Do you know how to go into the BIOS of the computer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not know how to go into BIOS
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

OK 2 seconds I will tell you how

Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

Can you press F2 so it runs the system diagnostics please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to go to work. So can they email me. Are you open all night?***@******.***
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

Just reply back here. What time is it with you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK I pressed F2 It show Version 1.6.0.0 - BIOS For more information please visit www.hp.com/gp/techcenter/PCDiags *Memory Test* Hard Drive Check Language Exit
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

Ok let it run the tests

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, It is doing Memory Quick Check:Test in Progress *.........Estimated time remaining 4 min
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

Let me know once done and it comes to the hard-drive tests

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Memory Quick Check Passed. But it says back to main menu and I returned and it goes back to that statement "Version 1.6 etc I clicked enter again and it is going back to memory test
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

Please run the HDD test

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK it finished the Memory test (2nd time) - I cannot click the hard drive check because the mouse pad is not working. I also installed a wireless mouse but it will not pick up.
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

The mouse will be disabled during testing.

Once the ram is complete let it run the HDD.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I just used the down arrow and it moved to the hard drive check. It's doing the check right now. Now it says Smart check passed Short DST failed - Failure ID: 9G92JC-6LH88W-MFPWWJ-60VG03 PRODUCT ID; C2L84UA#ABA Hard Drive 1
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

OK - it's a hard-drive failure. It will need to be replaced by HP. This is what I thought was the issue to start with but I just wanted to be 100% sure for you.

I've activated the rating system at the top right If you rate me I get my credit for helping you :)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just to let you know I am rating you excellent. Thank you Alice
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

???