Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist

I am at a school and we have several hundred HP Chromebooks.

Customer Question

I am at a school and we have several hundred HP Chromebooks. Suddenly in the last month we have had four that have gone to a black screen. We can barely see the icon in the middle of the screen. I use the brighten button to no avail. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 17 days ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I ask for the full model names of your HP Chromebooks?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
They are all HP Chromebook 11 G3

Have you already tried resetting settings on the Chromebooks?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I can't see the screen to do so. I have actually done the ESC Refresh POWER combo but the screen is still too black to see in order to factory reset.

You cannot see the screen at all? I was under the assumption that you could see it a little bit. Is the screen just dark or is it non-functional?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
its functioning as I can see a small glimmer of the icon that is in the center of the screen we use to sign in. This has happened to four of our chromebooks in just the last couple weeks. all in different rooms. Just seems odd. It looks like the brightness is turned all the way down. But it isn't.

If you turn the brightness down, does the screen get even darker?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
not much. i can barely see the white of the icon in the center and the rest is black.

When you press F6 or F7, you don't see any change whatsoever in the screen brightness?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I don't have a F6 or F7 per say, just the little icons for brightness. I can barely see a slight change.
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for the update. Often times, this can occur if the LCD connector becomes loose. Have you checked this issue on any of the four Chromebooks?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How would I check that? I apologize as I have classes coming and going so my responses may be interrupted.

The instructions found on the following page will show you how to get to the LCD cable:

At the time 3:05 is when they get to the LCD cable connector. At this time, disconnect the LCD cable and reconnect it securely. Once that is complete, put everything back together and test it once more.