Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

It will not turn on. It only lights the power button and

Customer Question

It will not turn on. It only lights the power button and sounds like it is trying to come on, but never does. I have had it since 2008.
JA: What kind of computer do you have? Do you know what Operating System (OS) you're running?
Customer: Serial no.(###) ###-#### Satelite M305D-S4830
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Thought it had dust inside and took back off, blew out, then replaced. I was using it when it just turned off. Bought new battery, but still not turning on.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Has Vista and get Microsoft update periodically.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. When you press the power button, the power button lights on, but then it will immediately turn back off?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It doesn't come on at all! Only the power light lights up. Sounds as if it will or is trying to turn on, but it never does.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information.

Have you tried to hard reset the laptop?

First, please do the following Hard Reset procedures to revive your frozen laptop. This will revive your laptop if there are no hardware related issues, like the motherboard.

Here are the steps, please do them IN the order they are given:

1. Turn OFF the laptop
  2. Unplug the power adapter from the power source and unplug it also from the laptop
  3. Remove the battery
  4. With the power adapter unplugged, and the battery removed, press and hold the power button or switch for 60 seconds and then release
  5. DO NOT insert the battery yet. Instead, plug the power adapter to the power source FIRST. Then plug the power jack to the laptop
  6. Turn ON the laptop then see if it works fine this time.

Please let me know your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did not help. Did not turn on or power up. Laptop makes sound and flash of other lights, but never came on completely.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 months ago.

Did you follow the procedures I gave you? Did you do it with the laptop connected directly to the power adapter WITHOUT the battery?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did. I am using my PC, not my laptop. Laptop battery removed and held power button down for 60 sec, pluged adapter into outlet then into batteryless laptop. Did not do any different. Does a new battery have to be charged longer than 24 hours?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought this was only $5.00, not $38.00! I can't afford the $38.00, especially if you can't help.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for writing back.

Unfortunately, since the laptop was not revived using the hard reset procedures that I gave you, I believe this is already a hardware failure or malfunction. The main problem in this scenario is a faulty motherboard or a grounded or broken power slot -- the small hole where you insert the power adapter jack.

So I highly recommend sending or bringing the laptop to the nearest Toshiba service center for further hardware diagnostics and replacement of the failing part.

I believe this is not the answer you wish to get and I hate to be the bearer of this bad news. But it will be unprofessional of me and unfair to you if I will not provide the answer no matter how bad news it may appear. At least I save you some time.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jess