Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Trouble shoot, repair, hardware software.
63493917

Have a hp laptop with updated win10. Now ever since update

Customer Question

have a hp laptop with updated win10. Now ever since update can't get it out of Sleep without turning power off .
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

Okay.....so its most likely the most recent Update that has caused this issue.

YOu have a couple choices here.

One....you can use a system Restore to roll back any updates to a known date, when the computer worked properly.

or

Two....you can manually find and locate the specific Update that caused the issue. But this can be challenging, as some updates dont alwasy SAY what they are or what they do up front, and you really have to dig to find out what each one does. Furthermore, if there are many updates that COULD be the culprit, you have to research each one individually......disable each one....test, reenable, move on.

.

Troubleshooting the culprit update, shouldnt be too difficult if you have a little experience with computers......but it can be tricky.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I've tried restore but no good. Will need to do the second option.

OKay.....are you confident to do this yourself? With some guidance ofcourse.....or would you prefer me to Remotely connect and do this?

it didnt auto re-connect me......so you will have to use the link again.....or reopen the download.

Or just follow the restore process.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I tried restore months ago. It obviously didn't work. if you can do it remotely that would be great.

I want you to give this a try.

Open Device Manager and go into mouse and keyboard properties:

1. uncheck "allow the computer to turn off the device to save power".
2. Check "allow the device to wake the computer".

That should fix the issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I just checked this and it was already done

Do you have it setup, so that the computer automatically sleeps after a certain amount of time......or do you manually put the computer to sleep?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

It seems to go to sleep after a period of inactivity, but I have also manually don it too.

Okay.......and this has been going on for a few months now?

Still with me here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

sorry couldn't wait on computer. I am back now.

okay....good.

So.....this sleep issue....has been going on for a few months now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

yes ever since HP updated it to Win 10 remotely. I have read it is not an uncommon issue.

Ahh, okay.....so the issue originally occured because you UPGRADED from Windows 8 or 7, to Windows 10.

That makes sense now.

Okay, so, just a few minutes while i run this through.

And your right, there have been many reports of this issue, and many different solutions.

It really just depends on your hardware. As im sure you know....not all computers use the same hardware.

.

Did you report this to HP? Did they give you any instructions?

.

In some rare cases, a Full CLEAN install of Windows 10 is necessary, to resolve the issue.

WHY? Because you followed the UPGRADE path to Windows 10, and while that should have worked.....it did not fully take.

So, I want you to be prepared for this scenario, as it will solve 99% of all problems related to an UPGRADE path.

To prepare for this, you need to BACKUP all your data and personal files.

YOu need to take a note of ALL your software that you have PAID for. Like Microsoft Office, or Adobe products, or any software productivity tools that you had to PAY for. Along with their names, you need the product keys as well.

This is somethign you should be doing ANYWAYS. Because your computer will NOT last forever (3-5 years is what you can expect) the hard drive will someday fail.....and when that happens, if your not prepared, you will LOSE ALL DATA.

So, while I am looking into a solution.......please do the backup of your data, and note your software/product keys/online accounts.

WQould you mid if we did a remote session, SO i can check your event viewer, and check your Sleep settings, and check if your sleep option crashes when you try to wake it.

See, the issue is not GOING to sleep....the problem is the WAKE process.

When you try to wake it......that cycle crashes.....and your system freezes, and wont wake up.

Resulting in you having to FORCE shut down, and reboot.

This can cause your system files to become corrupt over time.

The more you do it, the more possibility it becomes that your sys files will become out of place and changed (corrupt)

When that happens, there is no fix that is safe to use......a FULL CLEAN INSTALL of win 10 is your only choice.

.

I would like to check your system first though......to make sure.