bbao, Senior Laptop User
Experience:  Certified Information Systems Security Professional / Certified Information Security Manager / Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I'm having the same problem as As far as I can tell, my

Customer Question

I'm having the same problem as As far as I can tell, my laptop is not detecting the onboard touchpad device.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Satellite L55-A5226 running Windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: This has been going on for months. I finally decided to try to tackle the problem, but no luck so far. I downloaded the most recent Synaptics touchpad driver, but it won't connect, as in the link I sent. I also ran hardware device troubleshooting in Control Panel.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope. That's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

OKay, so there have been MANY MANY reports on this topic.

Currently Toshiba is working on finding a fix, and some Satellites do take the the Win10 upgrade with no issues.

But this issue stems form the fact that the Toshiba satellites were originally designed for Windows 8, and when Windows 10 was offered for free, everboy jumped on it. But that causes an issue, because Toshiba was not expecting that. So that left them behind the 8 ball, trying to rewrite all their hardware drivers for all their computers that are out there.

This is a grand task even for a giant company.

Need less to say, the only thing i can tell you, is one of a 50/50 chance.

Now, I can only even begin to attempt to fix this issue by connecting to yoru ocmputer, and checking settings, drivers, updates, etc etc.

Once all has been checked and the appropraiate drivers are installed and any KNOWN updates that cause issues are removed....if it still does not work, you will be forced (along with so many others) to submit this as a technical glitch to Toshiba, for a fix to be worked on.

If you would like to continue, I have to say, that even trying to help you will cost me time and effort, and even though we may NOT end up fixing the issue, we will have done all we can.

If you agree to atleast pay for this question, then we can continue.

If we do fix the issue, then this question AND the remote service will need to be paid.

So its up to you if you would like to continue.

I understand if you dont.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your reply. I choose not to continue with the problem resolution at this time.

i understand.....Best of Luck, and have a great day.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Hello There. My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question.

Could you please advise if below Synaptics TouchPad Driver is the one currently installed on your Toshiba laptop?

Posted Date: 2015-08-26

Release Date: 2016-08-24

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that's the driver I downloaded yesterday.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correction - the driver I downloaded was
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Interesting. As shown in the screenshots attached, the Toshiba site actually lists the as the latest version on the top though was released the same day.

I am downloading the two files and will let you know once the two drivers are compared.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

The two versions are very close, one's code was released on 1 July 2015, the other on 21 July 2015, just three weeks late.

There are no release notes or similar documents available in the driver folders, hence we can't know the details of the two close versions. However, generally speaking, there should be a few minor differences.

I would suggest you uninstall the, install, and see how the latter goes.

Please advise if you have difficulty to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Did another driver work?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not pursuing the solution through Just Answer any further. This is a known, ongoing problem with Windows 10, and it does not have a solution. Accordingly, Just Answer did not resolve my question, so please credit my credit card account for the charges made.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Google instructions attached.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, please ignore the above comment. Wrong customer.