Matt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer support expert with years of experience and relevant positions in the field.
67051558

Trying to start up laptop that has not been used in 2 yrs.

Customer Question

Trying to start up laptop that has not been used in 2 yrs. Green light on, yellow light on , screen black. Is the computer viable? I hear it running
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd like to try to help you get this computer back up and running. Please let me know that you are available so we can work together and try a few things.

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Could you also let me know what you have tried so far so that I don't make any suggestions that you have already attempted?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think you can remote in. Screen is dark.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

I'd prefer not to try a remote assistance, I'm not sure there'd be any benefit and I don't want you unnecessarily charged for the service.

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Can you let me know what you have tried so far? I'll work to get this laptop back up and running if at all possible.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Computer is running. Green light on yellow light on. Screen is dark. I di Cyril-alt delete nothin changes
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Please start by unplugging the laptop from power, remove the battery (if possible), and hold the power button for 30 seconds. What is the model of this laptop?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Never removed battery?How?
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Yes, I'm here, and will work with you until we have either a solution or are able to determine this laptop display is truly not functioning.

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

I'll need to know the laptop model to tell you exactly how to remove the battery.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Model Aspire(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
5535-5050
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Windows vista
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for that information. If you turn the laptop upside down, there should be some sliding locks. If you move them over, the battery should slide out.

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

It's difficult to explain this via text, so let me know if I need to provide more clarity.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is out now WU 'has m
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is out
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Eh
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What now ?
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Perfect :) ! Ok, can you hold the power button for 30 seconds? Again, make sure the power cable has been disconnected as well.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok power on no battery light
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

There should be no power, it's completely disconnected from battery and the ac adapter, correct?

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

For good measure, please hold the power button another 30 seconds.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only get battery light when power cable is plugged ib
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

All power to the laptop must be removed. Disconnect the power cable and keep the battery out, then hold the power button 30 seconds. Sounds bizarre, I know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Battery out power button held now 30secs - now what?
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

In the meantime and while we are waiting to test this, do you have another computer monitor that we may be able to plug into this laptop? If we can plug in an external monitor during boot-up, we can identify if the computer is booting up with a bad display, or if there is something else going on.

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Great! Ok, please put the battery back in and plug the power cable back in. Then hit the power button like you were turning the laptop on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have another laptop but connect it to be he no working one how?
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

I'm not sure I understand. If it is not a true monitor, we won't be able to connect to use that as a display.

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Are you seeing anything when you power the non-working laptop back on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Green and yellow light on dark screen I only have 2 laptops one working one not
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Another thing that may sound bizarre, but has actually happened to me, is that the screen needs to be moved up or down to get a display. If at boot-up you are still not seeing anything, try moving the lid of the laptop up and down to see if you get any display.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Green and yellow light on
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

The green light indicates the laptop is powered on, and the yellow light indicates the battery is charging. Unfortunately, it seems the display of this laptop has died.

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

By any chance, is this laptop under warranty?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can it be fixed?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Geek Squad or Office Supply computer repair places?
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

It can absolutely be fixed, likely requiring a physical display be purchased and installed. This should be covered if the laptop is under warranty, but may be a charge if not.

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

If you are only concerned about recovering data, let me know. There are other directions we can go that may be cheaper than purchasing a display.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A display th upper half of a laptop? Can be bought separately?
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Well, it's not the entire upper half but is built into the top of that case. It could be a negligible cost depending on availability of the display. Installation may be the bigger expense.

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

As an example, this is likely the part that is required for 65 dollars on Amazon. I cannot guarantee this is the problem without plugging the laptop into an external monitor, but any computer repair shop should be able to confirm whether or not this is the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Aspire-5535-5050-Replacement-LAPTOP-Substitute/dp/B003VWHQJC

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

I understand this is not the answer that you were hoping for, but hope that I was helpful in pointing you in the right direction. If I physically had the computer, I'd be able to figure out much more.

If I was helpful, please rate me to provide confidence to other customers needing assistance. If not, please let me know what I could do differently to be sure I provide excellent service to future customers.

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

I appreciate you taking the time to work with me to troubleshoot this issue; please let me know if there is anything more I can do to help.