Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse connected to my new

Customer Question

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse connected to my new lenovo p50 laptop.
Please guide me on what settings to change so that at least one of them is able to wake it from sleep.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That depends upon the brand and perhaps the model, of your wireless keyboard and mouse.

Please let me know, with the Reply To Expert function, so I can advise you accurately. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
m510 mouse and HP keyboard (doesn't say model, but it's brand new)

OK.

Go to the

Device Manager

program, then open the Keyboard Devices branch.

For all keyboard devices listed, set the

Allow this device to wake the computer

option to be checked, or enabled, then save the changed setting for all such keyboard devices, by clicking on the OK button to close and save the changed setting.

Then restart the computer.

See if that helps with the issue.

Let me know the result please, so I can be sure this advice solves the problem. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, sounds like a plan, but this new computer is windows 10, and everything I type into search comes back as no results found. e.g. "Device Manager" or "Display settings" etc. How do we fix this?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do these searches work on your windows 10?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, after an hour of searching, I found Device Manager hidden deep in the system.
Under keyboards, there are 3 listed.
2 say "HID keyboard device" and under the Power Management tab, "Allow this device to wake the computer" was already selected.
The other one says "Standard PS/2 keyboard", but there is no Power Management tab.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, are you still there?

I think that if one keyboard has no Power Management and is given a characterless listing like 'Standard PS/2 keyboard', then it probably is your wireless keyboard. And you may need to install the exact and full drivers for it on your computer.

For the m510, that driver for Windows 10, would be here:

... er, the m510 is a mouse, but the keyboard? how is it connected, exactly?

and the m510 is a Logitech mouse, so how can your keyboard use the same wireless facility? that shows up to my perceptions and knowledge, and something quite wrong with this system.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure I understand you, so I will give more info.
The mouse is logitec and wireless.
The keyboard is HP and wireless.
They use different dongles and communication technologies.
When these two devices were connected to my win7 desktop, they both woke computer from sleep.
So unless microsoft made windows10 WAY worse than 7, it must be a matter that's related to the laptop.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please pause this question

The question can be paused as much as you need, for a week at least, since you have requested it.

If you did not re-install the drivers for the mouse and keyboard, then you may have problems with fine points of their operation after an upgrade to Windows 10 takes place. This is a commonplace fact about modern upgrades of Windows versions.

Whenever you want to take up the case again, I can instruct you as to what to try. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Today when it woke from sleep, it "decided on a whim" to wake from sleep via mouse.
On one hand, I'm glad it's working, on the other, I don't know if I can trust a computer/OS that operates randomly.
I would have to return it today or tomorrow if I still want to be able to get refund, so we only have that long to figure out if we can get it stable. (for example, right now when wake from sleep, sometimes number lock is on, and sometimes it's off, which makes signing into windows a guessing game. A computer is code, it should not be a random guessing game.)

I don't know where the seemingly random variations are coming from.

It may depend upon your Power Options settings... those govern how the computer reacts to being idle for a time, and sometimes it will 'sleep' - which can be wakened from my a mouse or keyboard touch or movement... and sometimes it will 'hibernate', which cannot be wakened from by a mouse or keyboard *anything*.

Go to

Control Panel

and then to

Power Options

(under Hardware Options, perhaps)

and click on

Change Plan Settings

for whatever plan you have for Sleep and Hibernate and Shut Down options.

(Note: the computer will not wake with mouse nor keyboard from Hibernate nor from Shut Down... it will wake from Sleep with mouse or keyboard, though. I think this sort of setting may be the problem you are asking about... if you need remote control support for adjusting these settings, let me know, please.)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you, ***** ***** aware of all those settings, and the computer was already set to never use hibernate.
I don't see this as relating to the number lock issue, but I will do some more testing to try to isolate and get back to you.

NumLock status can depend upon whether you are in a text-oriented program like MS Word, or a graphics-oriented (or, non-text-entry-oriented) program, like a game or a graphics composition program.

Let me know how it goes, hopefully I can provide further context for the problem, if not the specific solution (after all, I'm not there in person...)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Actually, I think NumLock status is dependent on the keyboards interaction with the OS, not what program you're in. But this topic doesn't even matter, since in this case we're talking about the screen before even logging into Windows.

True.

But there may be a setting in the BIOS Setup for the NumLock status, depending upon which BIOS it is.

Also it might have to do with what program you were in before Sleep set in and the state of the machine was saved.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't believe, that in 35 years of trying, windows still can't make something as simple as an OS.
It's not hard, and all this stuff has been around a LONG time. It still has a motherboard, and a processor, and a monitor, and a keyboard, and a hard disk, and ram, etc. Instead of building 25 OSs that don't work, why don't they ever decide to build one that does work? I wonder if they do it intentionally so that people keep buying new OSs in hopes to finally fix their computer, yet to only be disappointed again, and thus buy the next OS as well.

Ah. The Classic Detroit Approach, in other words.

As I said, look in the BIOS Setup for a NumLock State setting. Or 'Default NumLock State'. Some BIOS Setups do have that.