Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years

I have a laptop I just got and had a accident with a glass

Customer Question

I have a laptop I just got and had a accident with a glass of soda that spilled on the key board. It is now saying boot device not found . please install an operating system on your hard disc. Am I screwed or can you help me?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Lisa, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. With this error message that you are getting, it means that your laptop no longer detects your Hard Disk Drive (HDD), a component on your computer where your Windows Operating System and all your programs and files are stored. This could be the bad effect of the spilled soda on the keyboard that went through the inside circuitry.

I highly suggest few things:

1. Please TURN OFF the laptop.
  2. If it is still covered with warranty, do not open the back cover since it may break warranty stickers voiding your warranty. If it is no longer covered with warranty, if you can, remove the back cover of the laptop to expose the components. If you cannot do that, then just proceed to the next step below but the drying up with the back cover on can take longer than with the back cover taken off.
  3. Then place the laptop near a steady fan to dry up the liquid completely. You can do this for several hours to ensure that the liquid is totally dried up.
  4. When you are certain that the liquid has been dried up, put on the back cover (if you removed it), then turn ON the laptop (like you already did).
  5. Then see if it boots just fine.
  6. If the message indicating a missing boot device appears again, unfortunately, it means that the hard drive of your computer was fried when you turn ON the laptop with still few liquid in it not totally dried up. In this case, you need to send the laptop to the store where you bought the laptop, or to the nearest service center for replacement of the hard disk drive.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,