Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

Asus laptop. Screen cracked. Can't login because screen

Customer Question

Asus laptop. Screen cracked. Can't login because screen keeps thinking it's being touched all over. Trying to disable touch screen, but can't until I log in. Also, can't restart in safe mode for same reason. Touchscreen still on. Does anyone know how to disable touchscreen without logging in?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me which version of windows you are using?

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
10
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, power off the Laptop

Then hold the left shift down and with it held down, power on the computer and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.

Can you get to this menu?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No that does not bring up a menu...just completes boot up process. I thought windows 10 eliminated that feature on boot up anyway, no? The touchscreen seems to immediately begin working when I boot up, which prevents me from doing anything.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

No, windows 10 has it as well.

If you start the computer and keep tapping F9, can you get to the recovery manager?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Starts to, but as soon as it pulls up, the screen selects one of the options before I can even see what it says.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Thanks

Your going to have to get the screen replaced then in order to proceed, this was the only other option left and it is just overriding it.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I read an article that said someone was able to disconnect the screen and use a second monitor to turn off the touchscreen setting. Then reconnect the screen. I removed the tiny screws on the back in hopes that this would be a relatively simple thing to do, but I couldn't get the back off and didn't want to force it and break it. So I put the screws back in. Do you know if this is possible?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

No, as your not going to be able to switch to the other screen, as you need to do this via the main screen.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok then. It's not really worth the money, I'd rather just get the data off of the hard drive and get a new one. So, is there a relatively simple way to do this? I don't believe we ever set that laptop's settings to allow access via network or remote access.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

You would have to remove the hard drive, then you can use an adapter like this

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW

You can then connect it to the USB port of any computer and access the data from it this way.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do I just rip the back of the machine off then? It wouldn't come off very easily so I didn't pull very hard.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

which model Asus is it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
X202E
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

It is near identical to this models process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqfrE3cUqcI