comp_audio
comp_audio, 15 year veteran in auto electronics
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing laptops, and supporting software issues of all kinds.
44312836

I changed my battery on my MacBook. Now it won't turn on.

Customer Question

I changed my battery on my MacBook. Now it won't turn on. The charging cord doesn't light up green. I need help.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  comp_audio replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to assist you today.

Please give me a minute to review your question and get back to you.

Thanks for your patience.

Please tell me the model of MacBook and current OS your running.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
MacBook Pro. Mid 2011. 13" iOS.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also put the older battery back in and that doesn't work either.

What is your MacBook's serial number please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know. Sorry. I can't turn it on to find out

You should be able to obtain the serial number on the bottom of the book, or under the battery area.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm. It sure if this is it. W80350TGATQ

Let me check and be back shortly.

I could not verify that was the correct sn, but no worries. Let's start with taking out the battery again, and disconnect the AC. Then hold the power button for well over 20 seconds.

Then, reinstall the new battery and hook up the AC again. Wait 20 minutes before attempting to power it on. We want to give the ac a chance to initial the new battery which can take between 10 to 20 minutes.

Then after 20 minutes has passed try hitting the power button to turn it on again and let me know the results.

BTW - I was able to verify the sn finally. MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), as you are probably aware it is out of warranty. Not that we need it for our use anyways, but I always like to check so that we do not do anything to void a warranty if one exists.

With regard to your new battery, did you buy it from Apple, or is it an aftermarket non apple branded battery?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just followed your instructions. Gonna wait 20 minuets now. I bought the new battery from KEY power. I bought it over Amazon.

Ok, no worries. It should be fine. So before this happened, with the old battery still installed, it powered on just fine? If so please tell me the procedure you took to uninstall the old battery and install the new one.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My old battery did still work. But it was getting very hot just minuets after being turned on. The battery icon was saying it needed to be changed. But it did work fine prior to me changing it. I followed instructions from the Internet. I unscrewed the back. Disconnected the battery. Unscrewed it. Took out old battery. Took a can of air and lightly blew it out. It was just a little dusty. Then placed new battery in. Screwed it back in. Screwed the back cover back on. Tried to turn it on and nothing happened. The ac light was a very dim green instead of the normal bright green. I then did the same steps to reinstall the old battery. It also didn't work. I called you guys then followed your instructions and put the new battery back in.

Okay, then let's wait the 20 minutes and see what happens. It might also be a wire or connector has been made loose. We will cross that bridge when or if we get that far.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok it's been over twenty minutes. Should I try and power it up with the ac connected.

Yes please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Didn't work

Okay, lets do the same procedure with the old battery please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Didn't work :(

Okay, then what your looking at is a loose connection or dislodged cable most likely. hold on

Are you good with taking things apart farther than just the battery?

Here is what I suggest for now. This will finally tell us if it's hardware related or power related...

Reset SMC of a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro Retina, or MacBook Pro’s with an internal non-removable battery

This is how to reset SMC on most modern Mac laptops, none of which have a removable battery:

1. Shutdown your MacBook Air / MacBook Pro (If its powered on of course)
  2. Connect the power adapter to the Mac
  3. On the MacBook / Pro’s keyboard, hold down the Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power button at the same time
  4. Release all keys and the power button at the same time – the little light on the MagSafe adapter may change colors briefly to indicate the SMC has reset
  5. Boot your Mac as usual

Do keep in mind that by resetting the SMC you will lose power specific settings, like the time it takes to sleep a Mac and other customizations to power settings. No big deal, but if you have made many changes to your hardware behavior you will want to adjust stuff like sleep behavior again.

The boot time after resetting a machines SMC can be a bit longer than usual, that is normal.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It didn't seem to do anything. I tried it with the old battery in.

I am going to also send you a service manual for this MacBook. It may be more info then you need, however you seem to be a person who has no issue digging in and trying things out to try and fix it. Otherwise, if you do not want to do that, then you might be looking at taking it to a Apple store for repairs because if this does not do it, then it is most likely hardware or a cable or connector came loose.

Try it with the new battery and if no dice then have a look at the service manual I'm giving you here, if that is not fruitful, then I am sorry to say that Apple Store here ya come! in any case, I am hopeful, in the event that this is still not working that you can see to it that you accept my answer and rate my service as I did all I could to help, but in the end, it has to be something that was done during the uninstall and reinstall of the battery with a wire or cable or connector. Please let me know what the verdict is.

Thanks in advance.