Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Trouble shoot, repair, hardware software.
63493917

I am in the middle of switching a couple of laptops and

Customer Question

I am in the middle of switching a couple of laptops and desktops to windows 10, 8 or 7 . I will have, between myself and my spouse 10 computers: 4 laptops, and 6 desktops. Some of the computers are not upgradeable with some of their programs to windows 10, as some of the software on them won't run on w10. I am looking for a network map that I can follow so that I can connect, (remotely although under the same roof), to the program content I need on an XP laptop or desktop, that I still need and use. Similarly for my spouse. What I see is a network with two "secondary" networks that would be one for me and one for my spouse, and we would both be able to connect to the internet separately, but not have access to each other's work and files. They can be connected wirelessly throughout the house, and because we both have separate offices, the secondary networks could be cables together if need be, but wireless would be easiest...I think. In this way we could each connect to the old files and programs that we stilll need and use, but we can also connect and use the internet separately as we need to from any location and any computer. For your answer, if more convenient, a map might be the easiest way to represent this, nut I am more concerned about the settings allowing the connections to function without issue...and I also use 2 laptops to remote connect to my employers office, where I do have another desktop on their network. Trusting this is not too foggy a question. NO screaming rush at this point and an emailed answer would be best. Thanks

Category: Laptop
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 3 months ago.

Hey Mark,

Thank you for requesting me.....but this type of setup is fairly in-depth.

It would require a clear and concise plan, for each users DATA. For example, you and your wife, each considered an individual user would need to decide WHERE your files are stored, and a central location is always best. Both of you can use the SAME file server, and should as it is the best practice to have a single repository for a file server. When dealing with file servers, you want them to be easily backed up, and restored. So managing multiple machines becomes complicated and cumbersome.

The software you use that is not compatible on WIN10 can be addressed in a couple different ways.

YOu can dedicate machines to a specific Operating System, and use a remote access application when you need to use the software. Or, you can install Virtaul Machine (VM) software which allows for using almost any Operating System you like, whic in turn allows for the older software to be installed. VM's allow for multiple machines to be in a single physical box.

Althoug this sounds great, the hardware must be capable of this, such as the RAM, CPU and Hard Drive space.

.

As far as the Network Map goes, while it is important, its not what would show you everything about every computer.

A Network map simply shows how the cabling is physically laid out. Showing the network devices, and network interfaces. But the HOst computers are usually not listed, as they are all clumpind into the networks they belong to, and dont show their individual specifications....like OS, or computer name, or even their IP, just how it goes.

.

It sounds like you are doing what we call in the industry Network and systems AUDIT and OVERHAUL.

The overhaul is the actual PLAN for the systems the business needs or wants.

It outlines what computers and hardware are needed, and how they are to be setup. Indepth and granular, about how the entire business systems should work and operate, and needs to be comprised using best practices within the industry wherever possible.

The audit is the process of taking account of all hardware, and software, network devices, and any misc assets (printers/peripherals)......and catalog it.

Determine what can be repurposed, or scrapped.

Update the catalog, with remaining hardware.

Determine if NEW hardware is needed for the OVERHAUL.

.

Using the Audint and Overhaul method, you can determine how best to implement the new systems and continue to be competitive.

.

You may need to hire a consultant that can help you in this process, or a project manager who can take the reigns and do the task for you, but always make sure you are getting some TRAINING once completed, if you go the PM route.

.

I would be happy to help you, but this is not just a question you are asking......its much more than that. This is not a question, but rather, a Project, and would best be done in stages, as well as putting together the Overhaul and Audit along with a timeline.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

I understand your thinking on this....maybe this will help....There will not be a common server.

Every computer will operate as stand alone and over time we will migrate and or synch data to the most most current versions that can handle the data. That way whatever does not get handled by W10 can stay put in an XP unit.

Maybe that helps....as I understand it..this is peer to peer ?

All DATA can be migrated to a newer system without issue.(its just files no matter the type)......but the software gets INSTALLED onto a computer, and is not migrated or copied. Rather its just INSTALLED again on the NEWER system if possible.

.

In this case, where you would keep certain computers (with XP, or Win7) just to keep using the older (legacy) software is just fine. You can use a remote access program to login to that computer to use the legacy software, and then save it BACK to your current desktop, through the use of a MAPPED network drive.

.

Peer to peer refers to the fact that computers can talk to each other in a very very simple way. There is no domain, no DNS, no WINS, no workgroups (or home groups as they are called in Win10). P2P refers to simply using IP address, and is normally AdHoc....which means the sessions are created and torn down for each time they are accessed. I dont want to go too far here, but you get the point.

.

I dont see any issues with you keeping your systems seperate, just use your own login to the Operating system, and everythign will be kept seperate.

Sharing priveledges can be determined, and if you BOTH want to share a folder....its quite easy in Windows 10.

Wifi or wired, doesnt matter, so long as all machines at SOME point connect to the same device, and only a single network is used or DHCP scope only uses a single network. Your remote connection you currently use for employer, should not be affected and continue to work.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

I think we are close to finishing this.....let me percolate a bit and I will get back to you probably tomorrow, with a what I hope will be simple yes or no questions that may just require a suggestion or two...

Alrighty....no problem.

.

I will help you the best way I can!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

HI again, rating follows as excellent , as usual....after percolating on this, but not trying anything yet, I have what I think is the final part of this question.

With 10 computers in the house, various operating systems and everything from desktop XP's to i7, windows 10 laptops, I think, but am not sure that the best solution is to have 2 networks in the house...both wireless: ie Mark_home group and Maureen_home group. Each computer should be able to access the same wireless router ...but will the router accept 2 networks at the same time under the same roof and not jeopardize internet speed or access.?