Jason Fenoglio
Jason Fenoglio, Sr. Systems Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems Engineer

I have a Dell Latitude E6400,the battery icon says it's

Customer Question

I have a Dell Latitude E6400,the battery icon says it's plugged in,but not charging,I uninstalled the battery drivers with the battery removed and installed it so the drivers would reload,but it didn't work,I even checked the bios settings and they were on? The bios said that it couldn't determine the power adapter voltage,do I need to get a new power adapter,I've already replaced the battery?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Dell? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Latitude E6400,running Windows 10
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried driver updates,but my drivers are up to date
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No,I've tried a lot of "fixes" from the web
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jason Fenoglio replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Give me a few minutes to look over your question and I will respond shortly.

This sounds like you've gone down the right path for diagnosing the issue. You're probably correct on replacing the AC Adaptor being your next step. You might want to make sure the computer is completely discharge with these instructions:

"Please remove the battery and ac adaptor. Then press and hold the power button for 15 seconds. Now wait for 2 minutes. Please reconnect the battery and ac adaptor and power on the system."

Then see if the battery information comes up. If not, replace the AC Adapter.

If an AC Adapter does not fix the issue, the system board would be the next step. There is a charging device on the system board that can go bad and replacing the board would resolve it but hopefully you don't have to get to that step. Let me know if you need more assistance as I want to make sure you are satisfied. Please don't forget to rate my service on the stars in the chat window.

Just checking in to see if you need anymore assistance. Let me know.