IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I tried to install Windows 7 as a 2nd OS and selected a

Customer Question

I tried to install Windows 7 as a 2nd OS and selected a target empty 400GB volume. It first tried to install on the next sequential volume which was too small. I deleted the files it installed think clean volume is good. Now it cannot start, I've lost all access to my main c: drive and nothing can boot
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: I bought it 2.5 yrs ago, used the onboard win 8 Ok. Then Microsoft sent a strong message that I had to upgrade to 8.1 so I did that. I've installed
Multiple OS on other machines. This one went wrong somwhere
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Rebooting, which noted that a file was missing. It gives a list of 4 boot options. I've chosen to try reboot of Win 7, but it always returns to the missing file message. I cannot make it boot from my win 8.1 volume
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Not now. I have to get to sleep for work tomorrow. But you could have Someone contact me tomorrow afternoon.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

Based on the problem description, it seems that the attempted Windows 7 installation has overwritten or corrupted the master boot record, which would explain why the Windows 8.1 boot selection doesn't work anymore. For that reason, I suggest repairing the Windows 8.1 boot selection.

To do that, you need to use a Windows 8/8.1 disc. Insert it into the computer and boot from it. Select the language, click Next, and then click on "Repair your computer". Click on "Troubleshoot" and then "Advanced options". There click on "Startup Repair". The computer will restart and automatically fix the startup entries for Windows 8.1. After that, check if you can boot to Windows 8.1 as before.

In case it didn't work, try with the "System Restore" option instead. Choose any restore point that was created before you attempted to install Windows 7.

Let me know the results.

Regards,